N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#2126)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default Yesterday, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
In this forum we have heard of similar issues - nearly all of them from the pins in the harness needing to be (re)aligned and the harness reinstalled.
Mine came in like this. The pins were bent firm a little so I had to pry them up to align with the plug. I was concerned that one or more of them would bend or break and not plug up correctly. I would look at your new plugs and make sure all the little pins are not messed up.

2016 Q50 Red Sport
BMS Stage 1
Infiniti Sport Mufflers

Last edited by QFitty; Yesterday at 04:19 PM..
(#2127)
Old

Car: INFINITI Q60 RED SPORT
Default Yesterday, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattds
4.17 is definitely better than stock. With a jb4 set at 4psi on a red sport in also getting about the same.

Terry i am also curious if there is a nice sound increase with the intakes and I'd there is an ETA? And will you have dynos with the intakes once they are done? To show gains?
That's good news. I just wanted to know where i was at and/or should be. That 4.17 was 1 out of 20 runs. I try to keep the variables including the track down to a minimum so i use the same gas station, same strip, same launch point mostly (taken Terry's advise and added more RPM's for the launch). Im gonna take it easy for now since 20 launches on a weekend is asking for serious transmission problems. Terry I'll be down to test w/ JB4, but I was planning on taking it off for next weekend and screen shot my dragy times on this forum. I tried direct messaging you, but i don't think i can on this board. I don't want to stir unnecessary problems on this board if there's a way to troubleshoot my 0-60 somehow. I appreciate all the helpful insight thus far. By far the most responsive and helpful forum that I've ever seen.
(#2128)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Luxe AWD
Default Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Anyone here uses an aFe pro dry S drop in filter?
(#2129)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default Yesterday, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Anyone here uses an aFe pro dry S drop in filter?
I have been using K&N 33-2409 Air Filters since the 1st week of driving my '17 RWD SS. No issues whatsoever with them.

Waiting to see / hear the BMS CAI's!
(#2130)
Old

Car: q60
Default Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPG
That's good news. I just wanted to know where i was at and/or should be. That 4.17 was 1 out of 20 runs. I try to keep the variables including the track down to a minimum so i use the same gas station, same strip, same launch point mostly (taken Terry's advise and added more RPM's for the launch). Im gonna take it easy for now since 20 launches on a weekend is asking for serious transmission problems. Terry I'll be down to test w/ JB4, but I was planning on taking it off for next weekend and screen shot my dragy times on this forum. I tried direct messaging you, but i don't think i can on this board. I don't want to stir unnecessary problems on this board if there's a way to troubleshoot my 0-60 somehow. I appreciate all the helpful insight thus far. By far the most responsive and helpful forum that I've ever seen.
A note on launching...when i log i notice that unless i'm off the brakes within .25 seconds the ECU cuts the power...so bascially i can see the pedal at 100% but the throttle starts to go up and then at about 50% it cuts it back...and then i find it takes another .5 seconds to really get moving.

So i've found that just mashing the throttle is more consistent. My best time (but measured only by looking at the logs) is around the same with 4.6psi and ********, but i've noticed when its' very cold the ECU doesn't call for as much boost. I"m also using larger diameter winter tires and have some traction issues (even with AWD).
(#2131)
Old

Default Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I have been using K&N 33-2409 Air Filters since the 1st week of driving my '17 RWD SS. No issues whatsoever with them.

Waiting to see / hear the BMS CAI's!
I would like to get anyones input on drop in air filter for turbo.
I have an AFE Pro dry S air filter (No oil) for my Infiniti EX35 (87k miles)
I’ve been using this for 3 years now. I just noticed that after changing my oil,
Oil on the dipstick tends to get darker in color in less than a month. The air filter 3 layers seems to be fine. Hardly see the light going through it even when it’s clean. I had K&N before (long time again and hated reoiling it)

I’m thinking of getting another Pro Dry S for the VR30tt. It’s none oiled , but not sure of the benefit in performance vs the stock air filter.

Also, I noticed that the Q50 front engine bay design tends to keep filty
dust and water off the bay even if it’s raining. Mine looks clean even after driving at 70mph in the rain.

My VQ35HR engine bay (2008 EX35) get’s messy...

One last thing, I’m new to turbo engine and when I shift I just feel the engine rev if it’s getting strained and then I shift.
For some reason, when I tried to datalog from 1st gear to 3rd gear pull, I do remember flooring the pedal and shifted at close to 6 or 7 k by feel, but when I look at the log, I was only shifting at 4.5-5k rpm. It’s just weird....

Last edited by Awgd8; Yesterday at 09:36 AM..
(#2132)
Old
Tuner

Default Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPMX58
I own a 2016 Q50S Red Sport AWD. I just received my BMS Stage 1 with JB1. I followed the simple instructions, plugged it in and went for a test drive. It was 30 degrees outside (cold) and the car was warm after 15 minutes driving before installation. I understand it comes preset at Map 1 with + 3 psi.
Best thing is to attach a data cable and set to map0 (stock) to determine if its hardware or tuning, and then go from there.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2133)
Old

Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50S Red Sport
Default New to BMS Stage 1 with JB4 Beta - Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Quote:
This might totally unrelated, but this happened to me on my Luxe AWD on JB4.
Mine was hesitating , seems like the tranny is confused which gear to use.
This happened after I put a key user in the car system. I even set the car settings to my original guest user. So I finally deleted the key user I created and just defaulted to none and turned off that option. Everything went back to normal.
Quote:
In this forum we have heard of similar issues - nearly all of them from the pins in the harness needing to be (re)aligned and the harness reinstalled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFitty
Mine came in like this. The pins were bent firm a little so I had to pry them up to align with the plug. I was concerned that one or more of them would bend or break and not plug up correctly. I would look at your new plugs and make sure all the little pins are not messed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Best thing is to attach a data cable and set to map0 (stock) to determine if its hardware or tuning, and then go from there.
Thank you all very much. I have a friend telling me he'll follow jrobohm's advice and if that simple, I'll be happy. If it doesn't make 100% difference in transmission smoothness, the he'll check alignment again and follow Terry's recommendation.

BTW, my order supposedly came with the JB4 Beta. Does that mean there's and easy way to change from map 1 +3 psi to I believe map 5 which might be +4 psi... I have a case of STP Racing Octane Booster to try just in case +4 is easy to get too. Got to solve part 1 above first. Thanks again for all the kind and quick response!
(#2134)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Silver Sport
Default Bluetooth vs. USB cable question - Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSORS400
There's a link to the JB4 install guide in the second post in this thread. The list of maps is on the last page of the guide.
I appreciate you pointing me to the JB4 install guide. It is helpful, but it still doesn't address anything about the Bluetooth module, how to install and use it, whether it can be used instead of the USB, ODBII, etc. Is that laid out somewhere?

I bought the Bluetooth module thinking that I would not have to run anything through the firewall if I had it. Do I have that wrong?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Q50SS_booster; Yesterday at 02:48 PM..
(#2135)
Old

Default Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q50SS_booster
I appreciate you pointing me to the JB4 install guide. It is helpful, but it still doesn't address anything about the Bluetooth module, how to install and use it, whether it can be used instead of the USB, ODBII, etc. Is that laid out somewhere?

I bought the Bluetooth module thinking that I would not have to run anything through the firewall if I had it. Do I have that wrong?

Thanks again.
The BT module is just saving you from running wires to your phone. This BT module serves as wireless access port to your JB4 module using an iPhone/Android JB4 app ($27)
In order for you to see your carís OBD2 parameters (RPM , AFR , temp etc)
You still need to connect an OBD2 wire from the JB4 unit (engine bay) via firewall rubber gromet (driver side) and connect the other end to your carís OBD2 connector. Thatís the only way for the JB4 module to communicate with your car. (via OBD2 port)
(#2136)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 Silver Sport
Default Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The BT module is just saving you from running wires to your phone. This BT module serves as wireless access port to your JB4 module using an iPhone/Android JB4 app ($27)
In order for you to see your car’s OBD2 parameters (RPM , AFR , temp etc)
You still need to connect an OBD2 wire from the JB4 unit (engine bay) via firewall rubber gromet (driver side) and connect the other end to your car’s OBD2 connector. That’s the only way for the JB4 module to communicate with your car. (via OBD2 port)
Thanks, this is a big help. So if I understand correctly, the JB4 will NOT function correctly unless I connect the ODB II cable (through the firewall)? Is the ODB cable connection needed for logging ONLY, or is it also needed for the maps to function properly?

Thanks again - I appreciate the quick response!
(#2137)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default Yesterday, 04:31 PM

I am converting my JB1 to JB4. What does the blue wire connect to? Does anyone have a link to the instruction?

2016 Q50 Red Sport
BMS Stage 1
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#2138)
Old

Car: Q50 Red Sport
Default Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks, this is a big help. So if I understand correctly, the JB4 will NOT function correctly unless I connect the ODB II cable (through the firewall)? Is the ODB cable connection needed for logging ONLY, or is it also needed for the maps to function properly?

Correct, JB4 requires the ODB II connection through the firewall.

Here's the link to the JB4 BT module thread, the install guide is in the first post:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742
(#2139)
Old

Default Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Hi Terry, after looking at my last log on Map 6 (+7.3 psi / WOT AFR 11-11.5) , I’m finally moving up to the last setting that I’m comfortable doing. My car is Luxe AWD stock (only drop in air filters added) I’m not constantly racing the car, just a quick couple of burst to or from work...

I’m setting my MAP 6 to +7.5 psi (E20-25 mixture on 93 shell) - I’m looking at 16-17 PSI (base Luxe PSI is 8.7) max.
What is the recommended boost safety setting on map 6? Right now it defaults at 0 value.
(#2140)
Old

Car: Q50 Red Sport
Default Yesterday, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I am converting my JB1 to JB4. What does the blue wire connect to? Does anyone have a link to the instruction?
for converting your JB1 to JB4, check the upgrade guide in the second post of this thread, but there was no blue wire when I converted mine, just a brown and green.

If you're asking about installing the JB4 Bluetooth module, then the blue wire is for 5V power and connects to either of the red wires in the JB4's 25 pin connector. The install guide is in the first post of this thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742
(#2141)
Old

Default Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I have a JB4 , but did not upgrade from JB1. I also have the blue wire from the bluetooth module. I connected that to the red wire (power) from the main JB4 unit using the push pin ( whatever you call it) that’s provided.

Check out this link. (Better video)

https://youtu.be/DkWlLekRESQ
(#2142)
Old
Tuner

Default Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The JB4 mobile blue tooth wire? Attaches to JB4 red wire using posi-tap per JB4 mobile directions.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2143)
Old
Tuner

Default Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Correct JB4 will sputter randomly if OBDII isn't in, for now. Later I plan to fix that bug so you can run it without OBDII but it will work like a Stage1 tune.

Burger Motorsports

(#2144)
Old

Default Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Terry, Pls read post #2139.

Thanks!
(#2145)
Old

Car: q60
Default Yesterday, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Hi Terry, after looking at my last log on Map 6 (+7.3 psi / WOT AFR 11-11.5) , Iím finally moving up to the last setting that Iím comfortable doing. My car is Luxe AWD stock (only drop in air filters added) Iím not constantly racing the car, just a quick couple of burst to or from work...

Iím setting my MAP 6 to +7.5 psi (E20-25 mixture on 93 shell) - Iím looking at 16-17 PSI (base Luxe PSI is 8.7) max.
What is the recommended boost safety setting on map 6? Right now it defaults at 0 value.
You have to change the boost saftey value to correspond to your boost request. So if you are calling for say 5psi...then it has to be 5psi (or higher).

I'm I'm mistaken someone pls correct me.
(#2146)
Old

Default Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattds
You have to change the boost saftey value to correspond to your boost request. So if you are calling for say 5psi...then it has to be 5psi (or higher).

I'm I'm mistaken someone pls correct me.
Thanks, man. I was under the impression itís the total max boost. (e.g 19 psi etc.) I think you are right.