N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1201)
Old

Car: 340i
Default 04-16-2018, 05:04 PM

Seems like I'm still able to log even when running map 0. I'm assuming logs would be identical between running map 0 and 4?
(#1202)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Yes

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1203)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckz06
Seems like I'm still able to log even when running map 0. I'm assuming logs would be identical between running map 0 and 4?
Yes, I do it all the time. Haven't noticed any difference between the two.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#1204)
Old

Car: 340i
Default 04-17-2018, 04:47 PM

Thought so, thanks!
(#1205)
Old

Car: 340iX 6MT MPPSK
Default 04-18-2018, 06:27 AM

The Install Guide, link on first page of this thread, is Aug 2016. There is a more current install guide from Nov 2017: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...STALL_CARB.pdf

I haven't found any "official" bluetooth installation instructions from Burger Motorsports, just a few videos online. But just to confirm, the wire from the bluetooth module can connect to either of the red wires on the JB4 wire harness?
(#1206)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 04-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier
The Install Guide, link on first page of this thread, is Aug 2016. There is a more current install guide from Nov 2017: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...STALL_CARB.pdf

I haven't found any "official" bluetooth installation instructions from Burger Motorsports, just a few videos online. But just to confirm, the wire from the bluetooth module can connect to either of the red wires on the JB4 wire harness?
Yes. Both are power
(#1207)
Old

Default 04-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Probably a dumb question, but I'm assuming that I select rev3 on the app?
(#1208)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Sport
Default 04-20-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

This thread will be the single source of information for everything BMW B48/B58 JB4 related! Note both engines use the same hardware. The JB4 will detect the different during installation and map accordingly.

B48/B58 JB4 Install Guide: Latest Install Guide

JB4 Windows Interface: Latest Interface Download. When updating your interface you may need to first go to "add remove programs" and "remove" your previous JB4 interface. The B58 JB4 is fully compatible with JB4 Mobile and the REV2 & REV3 blue tooth adapters!

If you need directions on how to connect a laptop to your JB4 to update firmware or how to datalog Click here.

Map Guide as of v8 firmware:

Map0: Stock tuning, fully disable JB4
Map1: Additive map with peak of 3psi over stock added (91 octane)
Map2: Additive map with peak of 4psi over stock added (91-93 octane)
Map3: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added (93+ octane)
Map4: Stock tuning with CANbus features active
Map5: Additive map with peak of 6psi over stock added & more aggressive timing profile for higher octane fuel (experimental, 93+ octane, bolt on modifications)
Map6: Custom tuning map allowing both additive (below 10psi) and absolute (above 10psi) targeting
Map7: WMI map (boost varies based on WMI additive and map settings)

Firmware:

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_9:

1) Redesigned CANbus logging engine for faster sample speed and all available parameters including cyl1-6 timing, water, oil, and trans temp, full time.
2) Corrected speedo calibration issue when using in dash menu.
3) Added FutureUseD Bit4 option to disable startup sweep.
4) Added in dash timing and AFR gauges under menu 2/3 and 2/4 respectively.
5) T2 - Fixed bug with fault code reading.
6) T4 - Fixed possible bug with alarm engaging.

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_8:

1) Adjusted map numbering per above!
2) Removed intake temperature signal adjustment from map1. Option is now available for map6 or map7 using the 6cyl timing field. 0 disables it, value of 10 increases IAT sensor readings lowering timing, value of 70 decreases IAT sensor readings increasing timing. Adjustment active on maps 6 and 7 only. Experimental feature.
3) Adjusted additive maps so they can be used without OBDII cable

BMW_B48_B58_OBDII_7:

1) Added CANflap operation to allow control of the factory exhaust flapper from the drivers seat. Press the BC button for a second to change modes. Left arrow is flapper open full time, right arrow flapper in OEM operation which is generally closed unless at full throttle.
2) Internal CANbus changes to improve speed and operation.
3) Groundwork for virtual flex fuel sensor added. See E85 FAQ below.
4) Wastegate dutycycle offset for cars with modified exhaust that experience excessive throttle closure. When equipped with an EWG connector on the JB4 harness FutureUseA can be used to apply a static negative offset. Generally a value of 30 is a good starting point.

Default Settings:

Attachment 64379

'***************************************
'OBDII In Dash Menu
'***************************************

'0 map menu, map shown on tach
'1 Not currently used
'2 Boost gauge on fuel, scaling in dash is 0 to boost safety setting, turns on when gas pedal is pressed 50% or more and turns itself off when you resume low throttle use. (OFF tach = 0, ON tach = 1000)
'3 Not currently used
'4 Delete fault codes
'5 1st gear boost limiter, setting for gear boost limiters is RPM = boost * 200. e.g. 2000rpm = 10psi cap, 3000rpm = 15psi cap.
'6 2nd gear boost limiter
'7 3rd gear boost limiter

Copyright Notice:
JB4 Software is Copyright © 2006-2016 by Burger Motorsports Incorporated. All rights are reserved. De-compilation, disassembly, reverse-engineering, alteration, and redistribution in any form without the prior written consent of Burger Motorsports Inc. is prohibited.
B58

'13 BMW 335ix Speedtech stg 3 !
W.R. 11.01 @127.6mph, LUCHOJB4, BMS BEF MHD, E85/Reg + meth 24.8psi ~ Set-up on Drag Track online instagram @luchocampusano ➡
(#1209)
Old

Default 04-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Hi guys

I'm having issues attaching files. Can I possibly email someone just to review my logs on my M140i.

Thank you
(#1210)
Old
Legend

Default 04-22-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
Hi guys

I'm having issues attaching files. Can I possibly email someone just to review my logs on my M140i.

Thank you
PM sent.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#1211)
Old

Default 04-22-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
PM sent.
Thanks bro. Mail sent
(#1212)
Old
JB4 addict

Car: powered by JB4
Default 04-23-2018, 05:03 AM

Just updated to V9_T4... menu 5 set to 1 & voila the menus all align with metric values :D

tune still good & intact lol - although flap control is nonexistent with v9. Not that i mind at the moment cos I like having them open all the time :D :D :D
(#1213)
Old
Legend

Default 04-23-2018, 05:57 AM

My CANflap control is very intermittent now, too.

(#1214)
Old
BMW After BMW

Car: BMW M240i
Default 04-23-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Did anyone come up with a good solution for the OBDII cable on a 6-speed manual? I don't want to run the wire outside and in the door like some have. Also don't want to risk damaging wires or anything else with a coat hangar.
If you get the confidence that you're dealing with the right hole, and confidence you're not going to mess up wires, it's actually pretty easy to execute. The trick is getting there mentally first.

So that said, it's hard to damage that thick clutch wire with a coat hanger so I don't think you need to worry about this. Getting the OBDII cable through that hole *is* difficult on manuals, but it can be done. I did this with a coat hanger, long screwdriver, and flashlight, in about 15 or 20 minutes, with no help. Here were my steps:

1) remove the footwell panel completely
2) go under the hood, locate the firewall hole (you can't miss it, it's got a thick clutch fluid cable in it) and use a coat hanger to push through and break the rubber seal
3) go under the footwell, and find your coat hanger. Hint: use a white hanger if you can, and use a flashlight, like maybe a head-mounted one. Smartphone flash LED works in a jiff.
4) use a long screwdriver or other similar long, firm rod instrument, and punch out some more rubber around the hanger. Carve out as much space as you can between the clutch wire and the edge of the firewall hole
5) grab the OBDII cable's molex end, and grease it with Vaseline. Yes, Vaseline. Grease the edge of the hole you're pushing through with Vaseline too. Or you can use the lubricating formula of your choice. This will save you lots of time and frustration and effort. Don't worry about wire connector cleanup. Vaseline comes off easily enough.
6) Push the molex end up through. It's hard to do but the lubrication helps, and remember, you cut out as much space for yourself as you could back in step 4.
7) Pull the molex through into your engine compartment. Clean off the Vaseline from the molex wire before connecting it to the JB4, using a paper towel or soft dry cloth (like a terry towel or polishing cloth).

This falls short of a true DIY because I don't have photos here. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FP Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / 93 Octane + 2 gallons E85

Last edited by MasterYous; 04-23-2018 at 09:28 PM..
(#1215)
Old

Car: 335xi coupe
Default 04-24-2018, 07:48 AM

I never thought about using lube on the car. Also I never thought I'd write that sentence. That being said, great idea!

BSM 340i xDrive (6MT, M-Sport, etc)
---
datazap.me
(#1216)
Old

Car: 2018 M240i xDrive
Default 04-24-2018, 05:11 PM

Hey guys! Could anybody take a look at my logs for my '18 M240i xDrive. Car feels a bit jerky/jumpy. Only mods are muffler and both resonator delete.

First file is map 1 and second is map 2. Also if anyone has any advice as to which is better for driving everyday that would be great. Looking for most reliable.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Map1:Sport:Drag.csv (22.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: csv Map2:SportMode:Highway.csv (61.3 KB, 15 views)
(#1217)
Old
Legend

Default 04-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyM240i
Hey guys! Could anybody take a look at my logs for my '18 M240i xDrive. Car feels a bit jerky/jumpy. Only mods are muffler and both resonator delete.

First file is map 1 and second is map 2. Also if anyone has any advice as to which is better for driving everyday that would be great. Looking for most reliable.
Your logs are mostly partial throttle. There are some throttle closures in those, if that's what you mean by jerky/bumpy. Otherwise they seem fine at full throttle.

If you want, you can try my Map 6 settings but you should install FF and EWG wires before doing so: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47581

(#1218)
Old

Default 04-25-2018, 06:56 AM

Thanks for posting, MasterYous, this is helpful.

Has anyone ever tried to connect to the two-wire canbus inside the engine compartment? I'm not totally sure if there is an and easy way, but it would make sense if an unused connection point is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYous
If you get the confidence that you're dealing with the right hole, and confidence you're not going to mess up wires, it's actually pretty easy to execute. The trick is getting there mentally first.

So that said, it's hard to damage that thick clutch wire with a coat hanger so I don't think you need to worry about this. Getting the OBDII cable through that hole *is* difficult on manuals, but it can be done. I did this with a coat hanger, long screwdriver, and flashlight, in about 15 or 20 minutes, with no help. Here were my steps:

1) remove the footwell panel completely
2) go under the hood, locate the firewall hole (you can't miss it, it's got a thick clutch fluid cable in it) and use a coat hanger to push through and break the rubber seal
3) go under the footwell, and find your coat hanger. Hint: use a white hanger if you can, and use a flashlight, like maybe a head-mounted one. Smartphone flash LED works in a jiff.
4) use a long screwdriver or other similar long, firm rod instrument, and punch out some more rubber around the hanger. Carve out as much space as you can between the clutch wire and the edge of the firewall hole
5) grab the OBDII cable's molex end, and grease it with Vaseline. Yes, Vaseline. Grease the edge of the hole you're pushing through with Vaseline too. Or you can use the lubricating formula of your choice. This will save you lots of time and frustration and effort. Don't worry about wire connector cleanup. Vaseline comes off easily enough.
6) Push the molex end up through. It's hard to do but the lubrication helps, and remember, you cut out as much space for yourself as you could back in step 4.
7) Pull the molex through into your engine compartment. Clean off the Vaseline from the molex wire before connecting it to the JB4, using a paper towel or soft dry cloth (like a terry towel or polishing cloth).

This falls short of a true DIY because I don't have photos here. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.
(#1219)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default 04-29-2018, 05:47 PM

It easy very easy to connect the canbus wire. Do not go for the hydraulic hose opening. Look to the side for the 3 inch rubber plug in the firewall it guides the inside compartment rainbow wiring cable (3/4 inch diameter) to the engine. Look closely at the plug and you will see two indentations. Each will take the wire once cut by a simple rubber hole cutter 1/4 inch diameter. The rubber is thin and very flexible. Cuts easily. No lube no poking no coat hanger etc, no damage wires. Two minutes. Lol ��

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#1220)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-29-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting, MasterYous, this is helpful.

Has anyone ever tried to connect to the two-wire canbus inside the engine compartment? I'm not totally sure if there is an and easy way, but it would make sense if an unused connection point is available.
Just so we’re all sure what you’re asking: do you mean wire the JB4 directly to the car’s native CANbus wire under the hood, without using the OBDII molex adapter?

I have not ever considered this, maybe @Turboh was referring to something like that in his post, although it seems your idea would not require going through any firewalls since the work would all be under the hood. Good luck with that.

2017 F23/M240i Convertible (B58) / 6MT / FP Wires / EWG Wires / BMS Air Intake / Stock Exhaust / 93 Octane + 2 gallons E85
(#1221)
Old

Default 04-30-2018, 04:39 AM

I was thinking of keeping all of the wires under the hood and not penetrating the firewall. It would make sense if there was an open connector available under the hood.

I didn't spend too much time on this, though. I put my JB4 on the passenger side by the fuse box (left-hand drive). I ended up running a wire to the OBDII port by the driver, the wire goes through one of the two rubber plugs by the fuse box. Since the OBDII connector that came with the JB4 only had a 3 foot cable, I made my own cable with parts from ebay.
(#1222)
Old
BMW After BMW

Default 04-30-2018, 05:43 AM

Good deal. I did the same installation, but the supplied OBDII-to-molex was long enough in my case. I ran it horizontally under the cowls from driver to passenger, below the wiper assemblies. Different cars matter - my F23 likely is narrower than your car.

(#1223)
Old

Car: 2018 M240i xDrive
Default 05-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Could someone take a look at these logs... very concerning. no other mods other than muffler and resonator delete. Jb4 Map 2 - 2018 m240i X Drive

During WOT (Locked in 5th gear) the AFR's are in the 14s and the ignition timing is 0? I have a limited understanding on the subject but from what I understand that means its knocking and pulling timing (Unless im reading this wrong or am uninformed which is likely)? Odd part is car is relatively smooth. Regardless this is all very concerning.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-05-02 14_01_59.csv (146.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: csv 2018-05-02 14_04_28.csv (118.5 KB, 17 views)
(#1224)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-05-2018, 01:24 PM

hi people, I drive now 1 month map2 and would like to switch to map 3 now. Will install a ******** before and drive gasoline octane 10 .. can I drive with 102 oktan and ******** map 3 or I have to do something else
(#1225)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default Firmware questions - 05-09-2018, 12:04 PM

Hi all,

My latest firmware V9 has and FUD option bit6:disable FF rpm gain. What does it do?

Also, how does the FUA value work?

Thanks.

Alex

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.