N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#76)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
When loading a race use only flash people should realize they are providing their VIN and personal information to an entity, who under subpoena, will be forced to turn that information over to the government, to BMW, or whoever requests it.
Quote:
We do not store customer information nor would we ever release any customer information without a subpoena.

No one likes compliance but it's a necessary part of any successful business. Minor changes like this not only protect us but also our customers.
Terry, thanks for clarifying on releasing customer info. that's a much more comforting statement that first one ... though TBH I still don't understand , if you won't release without a subpoena, how BMW or 'whomever' else could force you to turn that info over.

Also not sure how to reconcile the two statements above in bold. Can you help me understand - What personal customer information do you have to turn over if you don't store customer information?

2009 535i Sport
Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Last edited by LessIsMore; 10-10-2017 at 02:27 PM..
(#77)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon
There's nothing nefarious about the information JB or the mobile app stores - the "mod" section is to assist with troubleshooting.
It's not a stretch at all to think that if a company collected what mods you have and stored it for customer trouble-shooting or whatever primary purpose, they would be compelled to turn that over along with your purchase history, emails to the company for support where you may talk about emission-noncompliance equipment or issues, etc.

There have been people in other states who were paid a visit in-person by the DMV for failing one emission test, even though the passed afterward. When you combine reports like that with a well-known increase in EPA interest in aftermarket equipment providers, it's not hard to see you may need to be more forward-looking.

2009 535i Sport
Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

(#78)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-10-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
though TBH I still don't understand , if you won't release without a subpoena, how BMW or 'whomever' else could force you to turn that info over.
Seems like you're not reading statement properly. It's MHD flash software that stores your customer information, vehicle identification number, etc, as part of their app. And my point was that these customers who were saying "good thing I'm running MHD so I'm not effected by emissions compliance", it's a bit ironic, because they are really the ones at risk there.

Regarding BMS tuning products we've already got our 1A emission testing on file for each product establishing federal legality, and once we get the CARB approval done for 50-state legality, it will be one less potential headache for our customers.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#79)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 10-11-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Seems like you're not reading statement properly. It's MHD flash software that stores your customer information, vehicle identification number, etc, as part of their app. And my point was that these customers who were saying "good thing I'm running MHD so I'm not effected by emissions compliance", it's a bit ironic, because they are really the ones at risk there.

Regarding BMS tuning products we've already got our 1A emission testing on file for each product establishing federal legality, and once we get the CARB approval done for 50-state legality, it will be one less potential headache for our customers.
I see - Thanks Terry, apologies for confusion.

2009 535i Sport

(#80)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default New Interface Shows USA Not Canada - 10-19-2017, 05:54 PM

Hi Terry,

After reading this thread I see I'm not the only one with the problem of being in Canada but having the interface say that I'm in the United States.

I see you have told others to email in, but I'm not sure which email I should be sending my request for help to?

Thanks,
Jeff
(#81)
Old

Car: 2010 X5M MCB
Default 10-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girva
Hi Terry,

After reading this thread I see I'm not the only one with the problem of being in Canada but having the interface say that I'm in the United States.

I see you have told others to email in, but I'm not sure which email I should be sending my request for help to?

Thanks,
Jeff
JB4 PC Interface related > jon@burgertuning.com
Mobile App Interface related > jb4connectkit+support@gmail.com
(#82)
Old

Car: BMW 135i
Default Thanks - 10-19-2017, 06:40 PM

Terry@ seemed too easy. Thanks!
(#83)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 10-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Seems like a really easy fix would be to take the back end flash, modify it yourself (putting yourself at fault, instead of BMS), and flash your new BEF with a "custom" license from MHD.

Cost: Less than an hour of your time and a $20 upgrade from MHD's BEF license.
(#84)
Old

Car: F30 335i EWG
Default 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Their own Emissions Notice on their website states they do not sell in California and has yet to be updated to say otherwise, or they have taken steps to remove features that pertain to this.

http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html

Give us back auto-clear. Make us sign a waiver for off-road use only and do not reside in California. I don't care. This is wrong.
(#85)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-24-2017, 09:56 AM

Deleted various complaint posts. I understand some are not happy with the change, but it is required by Federal law to avoid the potential for misuse. Contact your congressman or SEMA if you're looking for someone to complain to about it.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#86)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
Their own Emissions Notice on their website states they do not sell in California and has yet to be updated to say otherwise, or they have taken steps to remove features that pertain to this.

http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html

Give us back auto-clear. Make us sign a waiver for off-road use only and do not reside in California. I don't care. This is wrong.
Only CARB approved products are sold within CA. We've submitted most products for approval but so far only have approval on JB+, Stage1, and the DCI intake. JB4 CARB approval is pending. Once approved we'll be able to offer JB4 within California.

The interface change for blocking functions within the USA is a Federal issue, and the EPA has indicated they will not accept signed waivers for competition race use only purposes. There is no competition race use only exemption within the law currently. SEMA was working on getting one, but it has not happened yet.

Like we've said before if you want us to remain in business and continue to offer great products, free updates, tuning support, etc, you're going to have to accept that we are required to follow all State and Federal law, which we do and will continue to do, to the best of our ability.

Burger Motorsports

(#87)
Old

Default 10-24-2017, 10:14 AM

I suggest you make it clear on your website that the CEL will not be cleared with a JB4 and not continue to mislead your customers and forced them into changes.
(#88)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Our website was dedone in early 2014 with an effort to update compliance and user guidelines. Is there a specific page on our site you think we need to clear up further?

http://www.burgertuning.com/

Burger Motorsports

(#89)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M-Sport
Default 10-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Older non-compliant firmware is blocked in the USA along with any non-compliant settings. Older interface versions have been set to expire/automatically update.
Is this why I cannot update my G5 board manually? Whenever I try to update the firmware I get a message stating that I have to send the board in for a firmware update. I'm perfectly capable of plugging in a USB but whatever you've done has prevented me from simply updating the firmware myself. There used to be a $35 option to send the board in to be updated but I found that option insulting as a customer.

So tell me, should I just give up on JB4 altogether at this point or is there a way to update my firmware myself?
(#90)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru
Is this why I cannot update my G5 board manually?
Sounds like you have a specific version of N54 firmware prior to 2013 that requires a fuse change on the chipset, which can only be done by hard flashing it. Instead of the hard flash option we now offer a 2580 replacement chip on our site for $25 that serves the same purpose and eliminates having to mail in the board itself.

Normally if you bought the JB4 from us directly and send the board in we'll flash it for free for you. The other options are for those who bought used which does not include direct support or warranty from us. If you wind up needing assistance feel free to email in to technical support.

Burger Motorsports

(#91)
Old

Car: 335xi - jb4 - DCI
Default 10-24-2017, 10:03 PM

If you don't like to see the CEL, a piece of black tape will do pretty much the same job as the jb4 used to do. Better yet, a smiley sticker for the mood.

2007 335xi -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC -- RB PCV
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#92)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-10-2017, 07:25 PM

Appreciate the thoughtful replies but the decision to remove the feature within the USA is not open for debate. Also keep in mind its never been an advertised function and was originally there for diagnostic work.

If someone really needs the function and is willing to provide us a copy of of their cars registration documenting it's a dedicated race car we will do what we can to accommodate you. But for those choosing to break federal emissions law we're not able to help you.

Burger Motorsports

(#93)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 11-10-2017, 07:37 PM

This guy who keeps posting should go see if Napster will give him his illegally downloaded songs back in 2001 because Napster promised to give them all to him at no charge.

A judge would throw your "class action" case out in a heartbeat. Good luck!

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#94)
Old

Default 11-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Awwwww poor Terry keeps deleting the posts criticizing his company. Boohoo.
(#95)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 11-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
Awwwww poor Terry keeps deleting the posts criticizing his company. Boohoo.
You'll get eaten alive here bud. Show me what company you've built and what product success you've had. I know my place when I open my mouth. Apparently you don't.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#96)
Old

Default 11-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Hahahahahahaha
(#97)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
This guy who keeps posting should go see if Napster will give him his illegally downloaded songs back in 2001 because Napster promised to give them all to him at no charge.
It's ironic, these guys jump on public forums and boast about violating Federal law by removing their emissions equipment, and then threaten legal action against us for ensuring our products remain compliant with the current interpretation of the same Federal law. They claim they were not informed of the change in the very thread informing them of the change. And the best part is some of them really believe the now blocked setting was actually removing their fault codes.

Anyway if they invested half as much time in basic research as they did writing their complaint posts, they'd find there are plenty of inexpensive options out there for them, starting with a piece of black tape.

Burger Motorsports

(#98)
Old

Car: E92 335i X-Drive
Default I'm in Canada but the interface thinks I am in the U.S - 04-23-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcara
Glad I'm in Canada! Lol. Thanks for the quick response terry!
Hey all, I'm stuck with the interface believing I am in the States when I am actually in Canada. I've tried on two different machines (Win8.1 and Win10). I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck.

Any suggestions?? Thanks all!!

Jordan
(#99)
Old

Car: BMW E90 335i
Default 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM

So does running a pump BEF along with JB4, still supress the CEL that pops up when running ********* ***?

2007 E90 BMW 335i |JB4|AR ***|ER chargepipe + Forge DVs|BMS dual cone intake|

1993 R33 Nissan Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-2|Apexi POD|Boost Tee|FMIC|3" TBE|
(#100)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 04-26-2018, 06:13 AM

Not knocking what you're doing as you're in Cali and it's nice you're trying to make sure your product is available to everybody. But really, why even bother? Move to a state like Texas or Florida, both have huge car culture, lower or no taxes, and let California have their CARB and lost income from yet another company. I really have no sympathy for that state, life is better elsewhere imo. 49 state compliance wouldn't hurt any business outside California lol.