N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92
Default JB4 30FF code only. - 07-08-2017, 02:31 AM

Hello guys, I have used this site often and I have always been able to find the answer I was looking for but still haven't found the answer for this. I had a stock E92 auto with JB4 on map 5 and DCI installed and everything was great. I wanted to get some logs down so two months ago I bought the rev3 Bluetooth kit for the jb4, install was easy. That same day I decided to play with the settings and had read how changing the default wastegate pos to "0" will give the car a deeper exhaust notes. I did and drove it around my block, 5 minutes later it gave me a check engine light code of 30FF. I assumed it was due to the wastegate pos so I set it back to "60" but it still keeps coming back. It goes away once I turn off the car but comes back once the car is warmed up to 160 oil temp. My car has 42,234 miles on it so I wasn't too worried. I changed the map to map "0" but still popped up. I removed the JB4 from the car and drove it around for a week and it was fine, no codes. I put the JB4 back on and the code came back. I have an aftermarket warranty so I toke off the JB4 and toke it to BMW dealership near by. I told them it had a check engine light problem. They checked it out and found a leak coming from the oil housing so they replaced it but that's it. I put the JB4 back on and the same code pops up; 30FF. I just clear it and ignore it since it doesn't seem to affect the car in any negative way.

Fast forward to now, I have since did some upgrades. I updated the JB4 firmware to the latest one, I have RR *********, muffler delete, Fuel-it stage 2 lpfp running E60 fuel mix, and of course the DCI and JB4 on map 5. I just bought the K+DCAN cable and USB OTG cable from Bimmersoftware.com to do the JB4 MHD stacked bef. I'm going to get the E85 map installed. Now before I install the MHD, I want to get this 30FF code solved. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks for the help in advance.
(#2)
Old

Default 07-08-2017, 02:39 AM

I also have ordered ETS OCC and looking to buy ER CP, and yellow speed intercooler for the MHD install.
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 07-08-2017, 03:37 AM

30ff is a boost leak fault. I would start by checking your vacume lines, Cp, div valves etc.

08 335I, jb4 g5 w/BT, e85 BF, fuel-it stage 2 bucketless, Alpina Flash, 7' vrsf FMIC, vrsf DCI, CP, 1320 **, turbo smart, recirc bov.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 07-09-2017, 12:31 PM

First step will be to post a log so we can verify your settings and see the cars response.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335xi - jb4 - DCI
Default 07-09-2017, 01:42 PM

In the BMS bef's, 30FF is disabled, so it won't come up. Keep watch if you're getting towards your targets. If yes, nothing to worry.

2007 335xi -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC -- RB PCV
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#6)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
First step will be to post a log so we can verify your settings and see the cars response.
Ok, I will be installing the BB2 E85 BEF then post some logs. I finally got all the pieces that I need to install.
(#7)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin
In the BMS bef's, 30FF is disabled, so it won't come up. Keep watch if you're getting towards your targets. If yes, nothing to worry.
I hope you are right, worst case scenario, I will try to install MHD flash only and see if it solves the 30FF code since it went away once the JB4 was off the car a couple months back.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 03:01 AM

Here's some logs from the last couple of day, they are not the greatest.
Attached Files
File Type: csv July 9 .csv (6.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: csv 2017-07-07 16_02_36.csv (8.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: csv 2017-07-07 16_00_31.csv (7.5 KB, 10 views)
(#9)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 02:16 PM

Ok so I installed the MHD E85 BEF and it went smoothly. I toke it out to test it and it went pretty good. I couldn't get the logs I wanted but here are two logs in 3rd gear. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-07-11 13_47_52.csv (10.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: csv 2017-07-11 13_50_34.csv (11.1 KB, 10 views)
(#10)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Second question, what map and fuel mix should I use if I want to hit 20-21 psi? Assuming my logs look good. I did the last log with 10 gallons of E85 and 5 - 6 gallons of 91oct. Ambient temperature was 101F
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Log seems OK to me... I'd enable 6cyl timing logging on the user adjustment page. For 20psi you'd want a 3.5bar TMAP sensor, Stage1+ low pressure pump, and then evaluate map7 on an E40 mix.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Log seems OK to me... I'd enable 6cyl timing logging on the user adjustment page. For 20psi you'd want a 3.5bar TMAP sensor, Stage1+ low pressure pump, and then evaluate map7 on an E40 mix.
I'm glad to hear the logs are ok, I will post some logs with the 6cyl timing enabled. I currently have a fuel-it stage 2 lpfp, RR **, muffler delete, DCI and running E50 or so. I will purchase a 3.5bar TMAP. Just to confirm, I have an IJE0S so do I set it to #5 under user adjustment? Also, I was just reviewing more of my logs I got earlier today and saw a small log that I took under map 2 and to my surprise I guess I hit 20psi for a second. Can I just use map 2 or would map 7 still be the map to use? What's the difference?

I have a couple more questions. What else would you recommend before I install the anti-lag chip in the JB4? And what's the pros and cons for flashing the exhaust burgle option? I read that the exhaust burgle caused certain users to experience smoke coming from the exhaust and consumption of engine oil where people had to add 1 quart of oil ever few weeks or so. If I would like to use the most softest setting but not if that is still a problem.Thanks in advance.
(#13)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Here's that map 2 log I mentioned.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-07-11 13_57_11.csv (8.9 KB, 10 views)
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-11-2017, 07:17 PM

In your map 2 log you overboosted and got kicked to map 4. It was probably due to the partial throttle and then suddenly hitting the kickdown.

Yes, IJEOS is usually a setting of 5 for 6-cyl timing.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#15)
Old

Default 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM

Here is a log I did today. It was in 3rd gear, map 2, ambient temperature was 96F. I enabled the 6-cyl timing for this log.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-07-13 14_38_58.csv (9.9 KB, 14 views)
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Log looks pretty normal. HPFP gets a little wonky up top, not sure why though.

(#17)
Old

Default 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the help. I was running a 2:1 ratio of E85 and 91pump. I hope it doesn't continue as I am waiting for my 3.5bar TMAP sensor to come in the mail to use map 7. Really want to feel the difference. But as for now, car feels great.

As for my 30FF code I was getting before, it seems to no longer be an issue so I'm thrilled about that. Just got my oil catch can in the mail and will be adding that.

Any advise before I install JB4 anti-lag kit? I have it already. Just need to install. Thanks.
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Other than the HPFP, that log looks clean, so we'll just have to keep an eye on the HPFP.

No other recommendations before doing the anti-lag though.

(#19)
Old

Default 07-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks alot Steve. I will be installing the wires tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to also install the other chip, I don't want to break up the JB4. Will keep an eye on the hpfp. At what level or number should I start being concerned with the hpfp? Thanks
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM

If HPFP drops below 10.

If installing the anti-lag and you have an older JB4, you will need to install the chip, no big deal though.

(#21)
Old

Car: 335xi - jb4 - DCI
Default 30FF, 30FE and BEF - 07-19-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamaryl
I hope you are right, worst case scenario, I will try to install MHD flash only and see if it solves the 30FF code since it went away once the JB4 was off the car a couple months back.
Ha, so there is a catch. I had noticed before that when 30FE is disabled, it does not show the 1/2 engine and does not throw the code, but it will nevertheless put you in limp mode, so you have to restart to get the power back. (I posted about this in an older thread, probably need to get back to it, because 30FE due to ECU_PSI > DME_BT at partial pedal is still a problem with JB4+BEF)

I am currently tuning for new turbos and I believe I had the same thing today with 30FF (limp w/o cel). Not really surprising that the DME has the same protocol for the 30FE and 30FF. I have now enabled the 30FF again in the BEF, so I know for sure when it happens.

2007 335xi -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC -- RB PCV
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)