N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08' BMW 135iM
Lightbulb The MHD Burble Enigma (Problems, Thoughts and Solutions) - 09-23-2016, 07:19 AM

I'm starting this topic so we can discuss our experiences with the burble, and if any issues have risen since you started using it. I was reluctant to start this thread when I first discovered the issue, but I feel confident enough with my findings to warrant the thread.

I first brought up this issue when another user posted that his car suddenly started smoking and I asked him if he used the MHD Burble option on his vehicle and he did when the issue started. It seemed as quite a few other users were experiencing some odd behaviours like: Smoke and Heavy Oil Usage.

My Thoughts:
I am completely puzzled as I don't know what to make out of the Burble. When it was first introduced, I jumped at the opportunity to try it out, and I found the sweet spot between obnoxious burble, and awesome burble.

The Status Of My Car:
Every February (end of winter) I do a different build on my daily driven personal 135i. For this build, I got new PUREs, Inlets, Outlets, Fueling and maintenance to ensure a summer of fun before the car was stripped apart for the spring 2017 build.

Having that said, straight piped on E85 the car was a delight with nothing coming out of the tail pipe aside from the sweet smell of ethanol.

Issue:
Not changing anything power wise, I switched on the burble with the most aggressive setting at 5 seconds to the soft setting at 2 seconds stable.

I started to notice my oil consumption rising, as for the first time I was asked to top up +1. I asked myself how my car could be burning oil if pretty much everything was fresh. No problem, I top up 1ltr of oil and kept driving. 6 days later, again +1 comes up. Now I'm really seeing smoke come out. I realized that the only thing that had changed within those 2 weeks had been the introduction of the burble. At which point I turned it off.

I drove the car for a week and noticed that I no longer had a huge demand for oil, and the smoke was slowly going away. But the oil smell remained even though I'm running full E85.

The smoke kept coming and going to the point where we were just about to send the head out to do the valve seals, as that was the only thing we could think of that would cause the car to continue to smoke enough to notice without the oil top up demand.

Experimental Solution: (requires more testers)

With the light smoke coming from somewhere and the oil smell still lingering, I figured that if I was already in for 50 cents, I might as well go for $1.

So yesterday I turned the Burble option on my car again at the most aggressive setting for 0.5sec and enjoy.

Never would I have thought that what might have started the problem, would be the thing that could have fixed the problem (still testing)...

I beat the snot out of my car yesterday as the 2016 season is drawing to a close, and the car was be put in the corner at the shop within the next 21 days.

When I arrived home, I noticed that there was no visible smoke and the oil smell had significantly reduced (oil residue takes a while to burn off).

Conclusion: (Undetermined)

Right now, the jury is still out on this matter. We had 2 other brand new builds that experienced the same smoking issue, but after we turned off the Burble, the smoking went away completely after 2 days.

A full conclusion will come if this topic gains more information from the community.

7DCT 2013 LeMans Blue BMW ///335is (Pending Inspection)
6AT | 135i ///M Sport - CRASHED (TOTALLED)
(#2)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 09-23-2016, 08:30 AM

I share your sentiment regarding getting the smoking from exhaust though I don't do enough mileage to comment on the oil usage. I have since turned it of and my smoking has stopped/disappeared enough not to be seen or smelt from the exhaust when coming to a stop.

|RB old gen|Jb4 G5|3" **'s|ER Competition Cooler|ER Charge pipe|Tial BOV|CM Meth Kit|Dual nozzle setup|BMS cowl filters|AFE intakes+scoops|
|BMS low temp oil thermo|MHD flash + coding|HnR Springs|M3 Control arm kit + H&R + Koni|LED Angel eyes+plate lights
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 09-23-2016, 09:16 AM

I wonder if its a bad idea to use when you have cats. Essentially squirting unburnt fuel into the exhaust right, as there's no spark on throttle lift? I actually have it enabled on my car for the past few weeks. Might disable it now.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Unfortunelty I can't say I share this issue and I've been using the burble since it was introduced. No smoking at all. No additional oil consumption.

Random question: Do you use an oil catch can?

Single Turbo Z4 that's constantly broken
(#5)
Old

Default 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kish2604
I share your sentiment regarding getting the smoking from exhaust though I don't do enough mileage to comment on the oil usage. I have since turned it of and my smoking has stopped/disappeared enough not to be seen or smelt from the exhaust when coming to a stop.
Do you have cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
I wonder if its a bad idea to use when you have cats. Essentially squirting unburnt fuel into the exhaust right, as there's no spark on throttle lift? I actually have it enabled on my car for the past few weeks. Might disable it now.
Oh, definitely don't want to use the burble, anti-lag and/or 2step... Regardless you should get rid of your secondaries and put resonators instead. When I took my secondaries to put resonators on my car, my secondary cats were in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesN54
Unfortunelty I can't say I share this issue and I've been using the burble since it was introduced. No smoking at all. No additional oil consumption.

Random question: Do you use an oil catch can?
Yeah, I do. Emptied whenever there is anything in there.

(#6)
Old

Car: 135I
Default 09-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Same here, i had new VTT turbos installed, VTT PCV, inlets etc.

I put in Motul 8100 for a fresh oil change and after flashing the E85 BMS flash i activated the exhaust burble option. I noticed i burned about .25L every 200 miles and added it every time it went low.

I removed it recently and haven had any issues with oil for over 1K miles.

My guess was the burble caused some oil consumption and i left it at that.

498WHP / 516TQ : 10/29/16

VTT Stage 1 + Billet Wheel | VTT Inlets | VTT PCV Valve | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | Fuel It Stage 2 | ECS TwinTake| Stett Vacuum Canisters | Hartge Stepped FMIC | VRSF ** | 91Oct w/E50 | BMS Cowl Filters | Located in Denver, Colorado - High Altitude!

Maintenance: EKPM3-DE @ 74K | Water pump & T-stat @ 70K | Valve Cover @ 50K | VTT Turbo @ 70K | HPFP @ 65K | Walnut Blasting @ 65K | 6 Injectors @ 55K | Vacuum lines @ 55K | Spark Plugs @ 75K | Boost Solenoid @ 65K
(#7)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-23-2016, 01:55 PM

I can vouch for the increased oil consumption, in my case the burble option was turned up to aggressive for 2 seconds. Had it on for about 4 days for fun. I removed it immediately after on the highway I felt the car stutter upon decel.

I have since removed burble, but the smoking continues. Pretty sure it is the turbo seals, which I had heard some folks in Germany using the burble option had experienced.

My car has 66k and had the head fully rebuilt about 30k ago. Car has new RB PVC, valve cover was recently replaced as well with new gasket. Plugs show no oil and are new. A buddy of mine says it could be a partially stuck injector as I have this burble of sorts whenever I am off throttle even with the option turned off, and I now have trim variances from bank 1 to bank 2. both lamda and secondary o2 are new. Not sure if it is burble related or not, but I too had this issue occur after turning on the option. Could be entirely coincidental.
(#8)
Old

Car: 135i 2009
Default 09-23-2016, 02:31 PM

subd.

'09 135i
JB4 with MHD back-end flash, Fuel-It Stage 2 Bucket-less Fuel Pump, BMS DCI, BMW Performance Exhaust, Eibach Springs, M&H Drag radials, e85

1.69 60'
7.51 @ 94
11.71 @ 115
(#9)
Old

Car: 135i N54 6sp MT
Default 09-23-2016, 03:49 PM

Subd

jb4 g5 ISO,MHD\JB4 BEF, Pure stage 2 hybrid hi flow n54,PR stage 3 fuel pumps, ADE port injection,RB PCV, BMS occ, ER CP, TIAL BOV, VRSF Hotside inlets, VRSF 7" fmic, VRSF 3" ***, n55 mid, Berk Race, NGK GTR plugs, HPF Spec smfw twin disc clutch
(#10)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 09-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Lol I had the most aggressive setting turned on for something like 6 seconds. I've now turned it off as it does say unburnt fuel is a big contributor of worn out and overheating cats. I too have a natural burble for about a second even with it disabled. I might look at options to swap the cats in and out for the emissions tests we need to pass here in the UK. Probe in the exhaust pipe unfortunately. Not just reading the ecu.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#11)
Old

Car: '07 335i 6MT
Default 09-23-2016, 08:13 PM

I have had it on mine for over a month. No issues so far.
(#12)
Old

Car: f30 335i
Default 09-23-2016, 08:35 PM

We have a 09 135i with FBO and stock turbos, JB4 with MHD Pump flash which my wife use a daily and experiencing the exact same symptoms with oil consumption increased and the smoke. No cats.. Will turn of the burble setting and see how it goes.

F30 335i | BMS JB4 | ER ***** ** | Akrapovič Exhaust | ER FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP |Platinum Fuel-it TBI-Kit (triggered via FSB) with inline ethanol sensor | Fuel-IT LPFP Stage 3 | Pure stage2 Turbo| Pure Turbos Intlet | GFB DV+ | RennZport boost pipe | RennZport Thermostat | Bootmod3 BEF | N20 gapped plugs |

N54 135i | FBO with JB4 and MHD BEF|
(#13)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-23-2016, 08:37 PM

I had mine for 3wks.didnt notice oil consumption or smoke but noticed a burnt oil smell. Turned it off and been smell free. Have catch can, new vc, new pcv etc..

2007 e90 335i
Hexon turbos
Trebila Custom tuning
(#14)
Old

Car: 08 E92 335i
Default 09-23-2016, 08:48 PM

I noticed only one thing different with mine, now that I have the burble mod I have a significant fuel smell when I turn my car off.. It will linger for an hour or so, and I imagine it's just unburnt fuel sitting in my exhaust but damn is it strong sometimes.. I'm still on v5.1 tune so maybe I'll try to go v7 and see if that makes a difference..
(#15)
Old

Default 09-24-2016, 06:23 AM

After just 1 day... I cruised last night for about an hour and I looked like a steam engine train after getting caught in traffic after a Blue Jays game...

Remember my settings are 0.5sec full aggressive MHD V7.X (latest) straight piped with resonators for 24 hours.

Definitely the root cause for this issue for me...

(#16)
Old

Default 09-24-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotCEO
After just 1 day... I cruised last night for about an hour and I looked like a steam engine train after getting caught in traffic after a Blue Jays game...

Remember my settings are 0.5sec full aggressive MHD V7.X (latest) straight piped with resonators for 24 hours.

Definitely the root cause for this issue for me...
Have you contacted mhd about the issue?
(#17)
Old

Default 09-24-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
Have you contacted mhd about the issue?
Well, it's undetermined if it's an actual issue just yet. So far even on this thread, we have a mixed bag of experiences.

Waiting to get real solid evidence from the community running full exhaust and cats delete.

Hopefully once there is enough evidence to support this, a warning can be added to the option for cars with so and so.

(#18)
Old

Default 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM

True. But In addition to collecting feedback, wouldn't it be worthwhile to contact mhd and communicate what your experience is? Maybe mhd would be able to shed some light on any links between the feature and the problem you are experiencing.
(#19)
Old

Default 09-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
True. But In addition to collecting feedback, wouldn't it be worthwhile to contact mhd and communicate what your experience is? Maybe mhd would be able to shed some light on any links between the feature and the problem you are experiencing.
Well, it looks like there are some characteristics that cause this issue in our cars... I've heard of a few cars out there not having any issues.

Today I went out, and flashed the car again taking of the burble and let it warm up. I checked the oil level and this were the results:

I was stuck in traffic for 20 mins today, and I didn't have any smoke at all, just oil residue smell... I'm going to go out tomorrow and give it a fancy good kicking again, and see what's what.

(#20)
Old

Car: 135i N54 6sp MT
Default 09-24-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotCEO
Well, it looks like there are some characteristics that cause this issue in our cars... I've heard of a few cars out there not having any issues.

Today I went out, and flashed the car again taking of the burble and let it warm up. I checked the oil level and this were the results:

I was stuck in traffic for 20 mins today, and I didn't have any smoke at all, just oil residue smell... I'm going to go out tomorrow and give it a fancy good kicking again, and see what's what.

I have had the same issues with my oil gauge reading as well while running the burble tune... i may have even added oil which prob caused and over filling issue who know.. i did end pulling my *** and found my rear turbo seal is leaking...so i am upgrading my turbos... not sure if im gonna run the burble on the new turbos but i would like too... well see

jb4 g5 ISO,MHD\JB4 BEF, Pure stage 2 hybrid hi flow n54,PR stage 3 fuel pumps, ADE port injection,RB PCV, BMS occ, ER CP, TIAL BOV, VRSF Hotside inlets, VRSF 7" fmic, VRSF 3" ***, n55 mid, Berk Race, NGK GTR plugs, HPF Spec smfw twin disc clutch
(#21)
Old

Default 09-24-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawlyGuNNz
I have had the same issues with my oil gauge reading as well while running the burble tune... i may have even added oil which prob caused and over filling issue who know.. i did end pulling my *** and found my rear turbo seal is leaking...so i am upgrading my turbos... not sure if im gonna run the burble on the new turbos but i would like too... well see
Yea, don't run it with your new turbos... it's disheartening when you smoke after slapping new turbos on...

There has to be a solution for this, but I can't seem to figure it out.

(#22)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 09-24-2016, 11:31 PM

I've been running the burble since it was introducedintroduced, and with a JB4 backend. One year old turbos, E30 - E85, daily and lots of miles. I haven't noticed any issues regarding oil consumption above and beyond what I've experienced over the past 5 years or so.

But I am very curious if using the burble option causes any issues with washing the cylinders and removing oil from them. That might cause accelerated wear on the cylinder walls.

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM5) | BMS Intake | BMW 513M Wheels | Dinan Shockware

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#23)
Old

Default 09-25-2016, 09:58 AM

Wonder if it's a gradient based on the setting, or if folks are losing oil on aggressive only.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
(#24)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 09-25-2016, 10:30 AM

Only time my oil light has come on I was running the burble. I also didn't like how the car felt on light throttle. It's off and I will not be running it again. It gets annoying after a while anyways.

E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 JBD

Got Boost?
(#25)
Old

Default 09-25-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
I've been running the burble since it was introducedintroduced, and with a JB4 backend. One year old turbos, E30 - E85, daily and lots of miles. I haven't noticed any issues regarding oil consumption above and beyond what I've experienced over the past 5 years or so.

But I am very curious if using the burble option causes any issues with washing the cylinders and removing oil from them. That might cause accelerated wear on the cylinder walls.
Very odd... I run E85 full time and things go haywire with me. I think you have you have your secondaries though right?