N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default 135i BMS FFTEC Single Turbo Dyno Testing - 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM

Hey guys,

Been racking up miles on the 135i and fixing little things. And finally had a chance to get to the dyno today for some baseline testing. As I've mentioned in the other thread I've been VERY pleased with the FFTEC twin scroll top mount 5862 kit. On road performance and spool is much better than any other combinations I've driven.

Testing details:

2008 135i Steptronic (original trans, for now)
JB4 single turbo firmware & supporting flash
FFTEC 5862 top mount single turbo
BigTom intercooler, BMS OCC, BMS stat, etc
Walbro 255 inline fuel pump mod
Factory exhaust system (did not bother to open cutout)
~E30 mix for for 17psi runs. For 20psi+ runs enabled meth kit for fueling using a single CM10 nozzle.

Notes:
1) Was not going after any power records so left the tuning very conservative all around. At the same boost levels there is easily another 15hp in this setup with more advance. And no reason this turbo can't be cranked up to 28psi when the trans is ready.
2) It made a lot more power than I was expecting. It's basically on pace with the 6466 at these lower boost levels only with much better spool.
3) If the trans would shift this car would be seriously quick. I'll get to work on that ASAP.

Video of one of the 23psi runs:
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM

Great job terry
(#3)
Old

Car: e92 335i Coupe
Default 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Called it

JB+RB=
(#4)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335xi
Default 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM

Absolutely brilliant! That car is a monster now!

Oh, and a...video!? Lol so proud of you T
(#5)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Such Wonderful. Much want. Wow.

I priced out the original FFTEC single kit, and it + supporting mods was 12 grand. Are the top mount kits any more reasonable?

Last edited by Iloveboost; 01-30-2014 at 04:47 PM..
(#6)
Old

Car: 08 E90 335i
Default 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM

awesome job Terry,

Spec2+ Clutch, SS SMFW, BMS backend flash, VRSF ***, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP - Tial BOV, N20 3.5 Bar map sensor, BMS OCC, Walbro 255, Markert Motorworks clutch type LSD, Defiv Diff. lockdown kit, UUC EVO3 and DSSR, AFE DCI, H&R Coilovers, M3 Front control arms, rear arms, rear subframe bushings, 335is engine mounts, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, Michelin PSS 265/35/18 - 235/40/18, Apex ARC-8.
(#7)
Old

Car: E92 335xi M
Default 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Sick!! Awesome Terry. Love seeing these kind of updates!
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveboost
Such Wonderful. Much want. Wow.

I priced out the original FFTEC single kit, and it + supporting mods was 12 grand. Are the top mount kits any more reasonable?
I'd have to defer to them for pricing. I didn't really keep track. This sort of performance and bolt in convenience is relatively expensive though. Add in a long block rebuild and a trans rebuild and you could easily double the value of your car in mods. On the other hand, it's a lot of fun.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM

it looks like this setup reaches 20psi around 200-300rpm sooner than the 6466 setup, and makes less peak torque per hp at the same rpm as the 6466 you tested?
area under the curve pre 4000rpm though looks much nicer...
Attached Images

(#10)
Old

Car: 2008 e92 335i
Default 01-30-2014, 06:24 PM

wow! 15psi at 2k rpm and 21psi at 3k rpm! that's insane!

JB4 G5 ISO, MHD Back end flash, e50 & Meth, AR **'s, VTT inlets, AFE DCI, AMS FMIC, ER CP, Forge DV, KW's, BMW PE
(#11)
Old

Car: F30 335
Default 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM

Curious what kind of cutout you have?
(#12)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM

More like 15psi at 3000 and 20 at 4000

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069
Curious what kind of cutout you have?

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: F30 335
Default 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Nice, do you have an electronic valve on it? If so, which one?
(#15)
Old

Car: 2008 e92 335i
Default 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM

yep my mistake - still great numbers...

JB4 G5 ISO, MHD Back end flash, e50 & Meth, AR **'s, VTT inlets, AFE DCI, AMS FMIC, ER CP, Forge DV, KW's, BMW PE
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM

FWIW runs were done on a AT in 4th gear. Spool under real world load is maybe 200-300rpm quicker.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
FWIW runs were done on a AT in 4th gear. Spool under real world load is maybe 200-300rpm quicker.

thats about what it looked like in the logs. Seems like it takes 2 more psi to make 6466 power with this turbo. with area under the curve before around 4250 being better

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTMFR
thats about what it looked like in the logs. Seems like it takes 2 more psi to make 6466 power with this turbo. with area under the curve before around 4250 being better
It's not apples to apples as the 6466 was tested in 5th gear so under a lot more load. But this is close enough to get a feeling for what is going on at 21psi with each turbo. Blue is 6466 and red is 5862.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Car: 07 335I [JB4 G5ISO][BMS DCI][BMS DP`s][OCC][BMS RACE FLASH]
Default 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!! You are the man Terry....
About how long does it take FFTEC to do the install on the top mount??
(#20)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It's not apples to apples as the 6466 was tested in 5th gear so under a lot more load. But this is close enough to get a feeling for what is going on at 21psi with each turbo. Blue is 6466 and red is 5862.
what happens to the 5862 above 7000rpm?

(#21)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 01-30-2014, 08:25 PM

Wow. Big step for the N54

2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4 | BMS Meth Kit (Dual CM7) | BMS Intake

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PURE Stage 2 N54 Turbos | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTMFR
what happens to the 5862 above 7000rpm?
Who knows. Auto trans upshifts at ~6700rpm.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2race
AWESOME!!!!!!! You are the man Terry....
About how long does it take FFTEC to do the install on the top mount??
I think it's just a normal ~$1500 labor charge. Check with them for addl details on that though.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Default 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM

i like the super linear band of the 5862 but i still think the 6466 is better suited to my goals. Maybe ill keep a 5862 handy on the side lol

(#25)
Old

Car: 335i DCT
Default 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Terry

What's max boost this motor can run without pushing it? 25psi? This is a stock block I'm assuming.

But really great work so far.