N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 07-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Well **** so turns out one of my brand new oil cooler hoses directly from BMW is indeed leaking also, where the metal part meets the actual hose. Requested for a replacement part now need to wait more. Hope the BMW takes responsibility. Pretty freaking frustrated
Attached Images

(#52)
Old

Default 07-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Did a short drive and lookit the hose

The oil cooler housing is genuine BMW and brand new

I used a brand new genuine bmw oring and lubed it up just 25 min ago, was trying to make sure that wasnít why Iím seeing oil on the cooler hose

Now it looks like both the hose itself and where it connects to the cooler housing are both leaking somehow, even with new oring and lubrication

Maybe the entire hose is just defective and itís leaking everywhere? I imagine if I drove the car say 30 miles in this summer heat oil would just be gushing out of those two places (Iím not going to try that)

I made sure the H plate holding the two cooler hoses is straight and tried loosening and tightening the bolt between the cooler hoses several times but oil is still coming out

i guess I can only wait for the new hose to arrive, and get another new oring there and see if that fixes the leak. If not maybe the new cooler housing is also somehow messed up?

Holy **** lol
Attached Images

(#53)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 07-03-2018, 01:45 AM

check if u pinched the o-ring?

try the o-ring from the old lines

unless the actual line is leaking, but i can see oil where the oil line goes into the housing

also make sure if there is no oil leaking above the line and on to it.

- BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Auto - JB4 G5 ISO - DCI - BMS E85 BackEnd via MHD - 19in M6 Wheels -

- Suzuki GSX-R750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Block-Offs - WoodCraft RearSets - Yoshimura Frame Sliders -
(#54)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11
check if u pinched the o-ring?

try the o-ring from the old lines

unless the actual line is leaking, but i can see oil where the oil line goes into the housing

also make sure if there is no oil leaking above the line and on to it.
yeah where the line meets the housing is leaking, and I put a new oring in there with lube, I tried making sure the oring didn't get pinched before i inserted the hose

At first only the line (where the metal part meets the hose) would have oil coming out, so I assume the line (even though it's brand new) is defective, but now I see oil coming out of where the hose inserts into the housing too, so maybe the oil is coming from there and the cooler hose is actually fine

I checked the tstat housing for oil leak but didn't see any, I mean the housing is brand spanking new and genuine BMW, it has literally 10 miles on it if that as of now, if that part is leaking I guess I got a defective housing lolz (completely possible)

I'll take all that **** apart later today after I get another new oring from BMW smh. So tempted to just silicon that part now that everything else is fixed and freaking brand new.
(#55)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 07-03-2018, 08:10 AM

With all of your recent oil leaks, any chance this is residual oil and not a leak? After I replaced my oil cooler line o-rings, I was certain they were leaking and resigned to replace them again. As I waited on new o-rings to arrive, I continued to monitor the area for oil and cleaned up around the connections. After few days of monitoring, nothing, no leak. Still good after 3 months.

Good luck in your your repair.

FBO
JB4
BEF-E85
E40
PCV-EXT
XHP
(#56)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckmc
With all of your recent oil leaks, any chance this is residual oil and not a leak? After I replaced my oil cooler line o-rings, I was certain they were leaking and resigned to replace them again. As I waited on new o-rings to arrive, I continued to monitor the area for oil and cleaned up around the connections. After few days of monitoring, nothing, no leak. Still good after 3 months.

Good luck in your your repair.
Thank you

Yeah I was hoping it's residual, unfortunately the oil leaks on the new cooler hose is definitely new as I took pictures before and after the short drive. I am hoping I just messed up the oring, I will reinstall later today with another new oring and 2000% make sure I'm not pinching the oring somehow.

BMW also sent out a new cooler hose earlier today so I'm hoping to get that in the next few days.
(#57)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 02:19 PM

i know this is frustrating,

i just put in a "lower temp" oil t-stat and once i put everything back together i had a leak from it. And the oil leak took the same route. Leak underneath and onto that oil line.

If i didnt just open up the oil thermostat housing to change the t-stat, i would assume its the oil line, which has been changed in the past year.

- BMW 535i - Sport - Sport Auto - JB4 G5 ISO - DCI - BMS E85 BackEnd via MHD - 19in M6 Wheels -

- Suzuki GSX-R750 - Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Mirror Block-Offs - WoodCraft RearSets - Yoshimura Frame Sliders -
(#58)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
i know this is frustrating,

i just put in a "lower temp" oil t-stat and once i put everything back together i had a leak from it. And the oil leak took the same route. Leak underneath and onto that oil line.

If i didnt just open up the oil thermostat housing to change the t-stat, i would assume its the oil line, which has been changed in the past year.
Yeah apparently that tstat housing leaks pretty frequently, and since BMW doesn't sell the gasket for that little housing separately, RTV silicone is the only alternative. If mine is leaking I'll have to get a replacement oil cooler housing lol, it's under warranty for 30 days IIRC
(#59)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM

what i did was flip the seal around and that seemed to work

(#60)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
what i did was flip the seal around and that seemed to work
Lol interesting, I'll try that next time before resorting to silicone, glad to hear you resolved it relatively effortlessly though! That's always good
(#61)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 03:42 PM

if and when u flip the gasket, leave it a little bit protruding (dont put it all the way in) so the cover can make a nice seal.

(#62)
Old

Default 07-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
if and when u flip the gasket, leave it a little bit protruding (dont put it all the way in) so the cover can make a nice seal.
Yeah I kind of saw how that worked when I replaced the oil cooler housing gasket, will definitely keep that in mind if my tstat gasket ever gives out again

Last edited by fusionchicken; 07-03-2018 at 03:53 PM..
(#63)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 07-04-2018, 12:38 AM

I fought a leak here on my e60, new orings new hoses etc. Ended up being that I was not getting the hose in all the way. Even with the bolt. The o-rings would catch at the thermostat. Get a mirror and make sure u can not see the o-rings at all.

2008 BMW 535i SPORT - FBO - VTT GC LITES - JB4 - Custom BEF - BMS METH - PROMETH PI
(#64)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 07-04-2018, 07:44 AM

I started reading this as I have an e60 with factory oil cooler. Since I took my coolers apart, I already new what was going on. These are machined surfaces, aluminum to boot. This is a very careful job as if you mess one thing up, many to follow. I'm betting when trying to mate the hose into the cooler, it was ****ed, didn't seat, and tryed to run a bolt in there. The end didn't seat and the bolt pulled the threads out. One thing to remember with aluminum, always expect the threads are going to pull out when unscrewing a bolt. Be prepared and take the time to run a clean tap thru there if need be, use premium and correct orings. I would never reuse a rubber oring, they loose there elasticity and form to the seat. Once you remove it, it's never the same, you need that seat for a tight fit. Hope this helps others not to get caught buying a whole system over an oring and bolt.
(#65)
Old

Default 07-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuppidsay
I fought a leak here on my e60, new orings new hoses etc. Ended up being that I was not getting the hose in all the way. Even with the bolt. The o-rings would catch at the thermostat. Get a mirror and make sure u can not see the o-rings at all.
Ahh, I don't see the oring at all on my end, but was curious how you were able to fix this issue? If the bolt was already in all the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
I started reading this as I have an e60 with factory oil cooler. Since I took my coolers apart, I already new what was going on. These are machined surfaces, aluminum to boot. This is a very careful job as if you mess one thing up, many to follow. I'm betting when trying to mate the hose into the cooler, it was ****ed, didn't seat, and tryed to run a bolt in there. The end didn't seat and the bolt pulled the threads out. One thing to remember with aluminum, always expect the threads are going to pull out when unscrewing a bolt. Be prepared and take the time to run a clean tap thru there if need be, use premium and correct orings. I would never reuse a rubber oring, they loose there elasticity and form to the seat. Once you remove it, it's never the same, you need that seat for a tight fit. Hope this helps others not to get caught buying a whole system over an oring and bolt.
Yeah definitely, the original housing was messed up pretty good that's why I bought a brand new one. For the orings, I'm using geniune BMW ones directly from my local dealer, is there another option I could use?
(#66)
Old

Default 07-07-2018, 07:23 PM

i too have an oil leak. does anyone know whats above the water pump?

it's leaking on the electric plug of the water pump.

(#67)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 07-08-2018, 11:34 AM

The only oil leaking would be a vc, I have my motor on a stand, pulled turbos, and new water pump. Something above like the vc is hanging over the pump. The oil feed may, but looking at the configuration, it would run along the hose.,
(#68)
Old

Default 07-08-2018, 03:43 PM

i was thinking it was the turbo oil feed line?

i need to check if the valve cover is leaking

(#69)
Old

Default 07-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Well the new cooler hose arrived and I put it on

I’ve included a picture of how the h bracket and two hoses sit below the cooler housing. Everything seems to sit evenly to me. The bolt’s treads don’t have metal shavings so the cooler housing shouldn’t be stripped or anything. I also put in new orings (again)

For the connector to the oil cooler itself (last image), it was at first leaking, then I realized I had to position the connector so it's flat against the surface before tightening the bolt (common sense I know, but just in case this helps somebody). These connection points seem to need the utmost care and attention otherwise they'll make you pay by leaking

So far it’s holding for a few hundred miles. I’m still paranoid as hell and monitoring everything especially with the recent SoCal heat wave
Attached Images

Last edited by fusionchicken; 07-11-2018 at 05:22 PM..
(#70)
Old

Default 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM

nice

i am now trying to find an oil leak

i know it's leaking from the Oil Housing, but not sure that's the main leak. The main leak is dropping oil on the water pump.

(#71)
Old

Default 07-16-2018, 04:43 AM

Just as a quick update, so far there hasn't been any oil leaks on the garage floor, and I've been driving the car somewhat hard. Going to start going WOT a bit more often and see what happens in a few more days, lol

Quote:
nice

i am now trying to find an oil leak

i know it's leaking from the Oil Housing, but not sure that's the main leak. The main leak is dropping oil on the water pump.
Damn sorry to hear man, perhaps start a new thread with some pictures and videos so your comments here aren't buried in this 3 page thread? I'll search around and see if I can find any possible answers for you. Unfortunately (or fortunately lol) I haven't had this leak you're experiencing yet
(#72)
Old

Default 07-16-2018, 09:52 PM

i am gonna change the filter housing gasket at a shop tomorrow for $400.

i hope that fixes the leak. but i am not sure thats the culprit.

buts its leaking and needs fixing, so i will start there

Last edited by Seven11; 07-16-2018 at 10:00 PM..
(#73)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 07-17-2018, 04:17 AM

$400??!?! Man I need to start working on BMW's for people on the side.
(#74)
Old

Default 07-17-2018, 03:13 PM

just got it done. gonna wait an see if there is still a leak tomorrow.