N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 335i Xdrive Coupe
Default Misfires - 07-16-2018, 11:30 AM

I put new oem Bosch ZR5TPP33-S plugs in, gapped to .025, and installed a BMS port injection controller, just to the DME wires (no injector yet). I did them at the same time because you have to remove a lot of the same stuff with both installs.

I then drove about 30 miles, mostly highway, and just when I was about to shut the car off I got one "bump", felt it in the seat. I now think it was a misfire, because the next day, today, I got in and within a couple minutes I hit the gas reasonably firmly in 2nd and got several of them. That increased over several minutes to where it didn't matter what I was doing, idling, driving, gas, no gas, misfires all over the place. Got engine malfunction & reduced power warnings, and these codes at least:

2FAA
2FAD
2EFE
2F04
2EE0
2EF4

All misfire related. I only know for sure it totally sucks, but I'm thinking the plugs have gone wrong somehow because it crept up over time. Fouling maybe? Seems like if it was tied to the PIC install it would have been bad immediately.
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi rpm
I put new oem Bosch ZR5TPP33-S plugs in, gapped to .025, and installed a BMS port injection controller, just to the DME wires (no injector yet). I did them at the same time because you have to remove a lot of the same stuff with both installs.

I then drove about 30 miles, mostly highway, and just when I was about to shut the car off I got one "bump", felt it in the seat. I now think it was a misfire, because the next day, today, I got in and within a couple minutes I hit the gas reasonably firmly in 2nd and got several of them. That increased over several minutes to where it didn't matter what I was doing, idling, driving, gas, no gas, misfires all over the place. Got engine malfunction & reduced power warnings, and these codes at least:

2FAA
2FAD
2EFE
2F04
2EE0
2EF4

All misfire related. I only know for sure it totally sucks, but I'm thinking the plugs have gone wrong somehow because it crept up over time. Fouling maybe? Seems like if it was tied to the PIC install it would have been bad immediately.
Description of codes?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#3)
Old

Default 07-17-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Description of codes?
They go like Misfire, fuel injection stopped due to misfire, multiple misfires and going into limp mode.

The more I think about it the surer I am it's the plug gap. Thought I was being safe to gap them narrower than stock, went too far I guess. New plan is to try .028. (I only measured one at the start, which was .027-.030 going by my gauge, so I thought how bad could .025 be? Nominally they're .031 though.)

Last edited by hi rpm; 07-17-2018 at 01:43 AM..
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-18-2018, 09:05 AM

That sounds like a huge gap to be honest. We all use .022" with the NGK

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
That sounds like a huge gap to be honest. We all use .022" with the NGK
As far as I could tell, the oem Bosch with stock gap had been working fine for me, but since I intend to up boost a bit in the future I thought narrower might be better.

There are differences of opinion on whether these "fine wire" platinums should be gapped; Bosch says no, some say yes, but I don't hear any whys. Intuition says they just don't trust people not to break the electrodes, but then my only experience is that gapping them resulted in a failure.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-19-2018, 03:21 PM

Payam and/or others, if I will definitely never target over 17psi with my N55, is .022 still recommended for the NGKs? No drawbacks like rough idle or poor starting?
(#7)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-19-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Payam and/or others, if I will definitely never target over 17psi with my N55, is .022 still recommended for the NGKs? No drawbacks like rough idle or poor starting?
I think you’ll be fine.

Generally I recommend the NGK to anyone running a tune.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#8)
Old

Default 07-19-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I think you’ll be fine.

Generally I recommend the NGK to anyone running a tune.
Thanks. I tentatively set them to .022 a bit ago and they look less "tight" than the Bosches did at .025. I don't know if that means anything, but if the new ones work fine I sure won't ever try that again.
(#9)
Old

Default 07-20-2018, 05:25 AM

Changed plugs and it runs fine, no codes after maybe 1.5 minutes rollin around and a rev or two to 2500.

...Of course it seemed to be running fine on the way to a good parking spot right before changing them, so what can I tell you. I guess I'll leave it at that unless it goes wrong again.
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Changed plugs and it runs fine, no codes after maybe 1.5 minutes rollin around and a rev or two to 2500.

...Of course it seemed to be running fine on the way to a good parking spot right before changing them, so what can I tell you. I guess I'll leave it at that unless it goes wrong again.
Let it run and get some logs!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old

Default 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Let it run and get some logs!
Ugh, I put a bunch of 91 in the other day to try to alleviate the misfires, so I have to drive slow for like hours first, heh.
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-20-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I put a bunch of 91 in the other day to try to alleviate the misfires, so I have to drive slow for like hours first, heh.
You can log a. 91 if you want.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#13)
Old

Default 07-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
You can log a. 91 if you want.
It's fine, really. Right after it started messing up full time I did log non-full-throttle for a few seconds, and the AFR was zigzagging between 0 and 25 every quarter of a second. Which kind of made sense given how it was running. But it's fine now. :D
(#14)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-22-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
It's fine, really. Right after it started messing up full time I did log non-full-throttle for a few seconds, and the AFR was zigzagging between 0 and 25 every quarter of a second. Which kind of made sense given how it was running. But it's fine now. :D

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062