N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default My Experience Installing VRSF 7.5" Race Intercooler (with log results) - 07-31-2017, 09:59 AM

I ordered a VRSF 7.5" Race intercooler to help cool things down a bit. At high boost, these MMP Stage 3 turbos really heat things up and I was starting to see some really bad heat soak.

It came with new couplers, t-bolt clamps, and the lower hard pipe upgrade. Luckily, I already had my hard pipe upgrade installed with couplers from my previous VRSF intercooler. I left them all in place to save time and was able to just swap out intercoolers after trimming plastic to fit the larger intercooler. I kept the new supplied hardware to sell with my previous intercooler.

Let's first compare intercoolers. Stock vs. standard VRSF 7" vs. VRSF 7.5" Race intercooler.

Definitely larger and definitely heavier. Let's take a closer look at the fin density and cooling bar size.

Standard VRSF 7" intercooler:

New VRSF 7.5" Race intercooler:

Much better :D now let's get this thing in the car!

It required A LOT of cutting and trimming. Seriously.

I thought this would be enough, but I was wrong. I had to cut even more before I could stuff this intercooler up in there. At least I was combating the weight of the heavier intercooler by removing tons of plastic, right?

Now that it's in, does it work?

My previous intercooler saw a 54 rise in intake temperature during a 28psi 60-130mph pull. The new intercooler only rose 5 during a similar pull with similar ambient temp. See light blue line on my logs.

Before:

After:

Overall, very happy with the results! I'd highly recommend the VRSF 7.5" Race intercooler to anyone looking to cool things down a bit. Aside from the trimming, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't choose this intercooler over their other options.

2008 BMW 135i 6MT - Doc Race Single Turbo 6266
749whp/643wtq @ 29psi, weighs 3260lbs

YouTube build: youtube.com/jakespence135
Instagram updates: instagram.com/jakespence
N54 t-shirts, etc: bimmerstreet.com
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 08-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Nice write up! functions exactly as it should. I am not personally a fan of modifying the car to fit a larger intercooler, which is why I like the wagner options, but there is no better way to get great intake temps unless you get a nice big intercooler. props!

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
Stock

(#3)
Old

Car: 2010 535i m sport wagon
Default 08-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Absolutely right!! I installed this on my e61 xdrive and it works amazing!
(#4)
Old
Bmw tech

Car: 07 335i
Default 12-17-2017, 02:16 PM

Are the logs posted comparing to the stock intercooler or the 7 inch?
(#5)
Old

Default 12-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotwell335
Are the logs posted comparing to the stock intercooler or the 7 inch?
No, they are comparing the standard 7" to the 7.5" Race intercooler.

(#6)
Old
Bmw tech

Car: 07 335i
Default 12-18-2017, 10:08 AM

I should’ve bought the race intercooler....
(#7)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 12-19-2017, 04:06 PM

I've been pretty disappointed with the VRSF 7", it just doesn't keep IAT down. I want to get the VRSF 7.5" but not sure it will fit the E60.
I'd recommend everyone to pay close attention to the fin density as shown above, that is key to a well-cooling IC.
I'd bet money that the greater fin density is making a bigger difference here than the extra height/face-area over the 7".

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#8)
Old

Default 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
I've been pretty disappointed with the VRSF 7", it just doesn't keep IAT down. I want to get the VRSF 7.5" but not sure it will fit the E60.
I'd recommend everyone to pay close attention to the fin density as shown above, that is key to a well-cooling IC.
I'd bet money that the greater fin density is making a bigger difference here than the extra height/face-area over the 7".
Agreed. However, I believe they sell an HD 7" intercooler with a greater fin density. Mine is an old standard 7".

(#9)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 12-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Any thermodynamics experts in the house?

I'd be curious how much is due to efficiency versus just the extra mass to soak up heat. Also be interested where the crossover is on surface area versus depth for radiators like that. If you've ever seen the VAG OEM intercoolers, they are thin but huge area like the water radiator.
(#10)
Old

Car: 335i, 2009
Default 12-20-2017, 10:17 AM

A super deep intercooler doesnt provide more convection cooling, in fact its worse. Where you gain is the mass, where it takes longer to heat up and cool down, which is good for short track sessions. A fin density that is too thick would impede airflow, not good, too little density and you wont be conducting away enough heat, but that can improved by a deep radiator. It's a multi variable complex problem. With no specific answer, it all depends on power levels, how much air flow you intercooler gets, special coatings, cross sectional area, cross air flow rating. etc.

335i E90 2009 ///M Sport Auto
Mods: | Wagner Intercooler | MeowPipe | Meth-Trunk | JB4 | Pump_Back_End_Flash | Fuel-it! Stage 2
Drivetrain--------ForgeStar F14 Wheels 18" (245 & 275 PS4) | XHP L3 Transmission Flash | Wavetrac LSD
Suspension-------KW V3 Coil Overs| M3 RSF Bushings and Dif Bushings | H&R Sways

X5 50i 2013 ///M Sport
Stock

(#11)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 01-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
Agreed. However, I believe they sell an HD 7" intercooler with a greater fin density. Mine is an old standard 7".
Yes, mine is the old, original standard-density 7".
If I was going to upgrade, I'd go straight to the 7.5" assuming it fit.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#12)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 01-07-2018, 04:34 AM

Anyone seen any flow rate / pressure drop data for these?

Something similar to this:-

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31479

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

DD Map 7 at 20psi. Map 6 at 25psi for 'kill mode'
(#13)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 01-11-2018, 01:12 PM

I haven't seen where there's been any reduction in flow on any larger FMIC's. It's tricky measuring a reduction in flow and pinning it down to the intercooler causing it, just too many variables whether you're looking at power on a dyno, acceleration, IAT, etc.

And the max flow would be one part of the story, but there's also dynamic factors to consider, like larger volumes taking longer to pressurize and increasing lag, how long to heatsoak and cool down, etc.

I think the opportunity with our platform, based on historically common FMIC's, is for better temp reduction through denser fins.

BMS' new stepped intercooler has something new - fins in the IC inlet endtank to direct air up towards the upper section of the intercooler. Idea being to more evenly distribute air across the core face for better temp reduction. Whether it's effective, or has negative side effects, no one seems to know.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :

Last edited by LessIsMore; 01-11-2018 at 01:29 PM..
(#14)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 02-16-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanometer
A super deep intercooler doesnt provide more convection cooling, in fact its worse. Where you gain is the mass, where it takes longer to heat up and cool down, which is good for short track sessions. A fin density that is too thick would impede airflow, not good, too little density and you wont be conducting away enough heat, but that can improved by a deep radiator. It's a multi variable complex problem. With no specific answer, it all depends on power levels, how much air flow you intercooler gets, special coatings, cross sectional area, cross air flow rating. etc.
well said. an ic is just a heat sink. larger frontal area getting air will matter more than depth in most cases.

E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 JBD

Got Boost?
(#15)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
well said. an ic is just a heat sink. larger frontal area getting air will matter more than depth in most cases.
True, but most IC options are maximizing the frontal flow area pretty well. the 'race' IC versions are adding top core sections that just tuck under the bumper support with no airflow.

which again is why I think the real opportunity is in the fin density - just make sure it's as dense as possible (i.e. Phoenix race core, VRSF 7" HD / 7.5" Race core, etc.

Only thing to do after that is look at water-to-air IC's ...

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :