N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2015 F33
Default JB4 on F33 - check engine and car lags after ISO firmware - 10-12-2017, 03:34 AM

Hooked up the JB4 to my F33 today, the older style with the brown and green wires that you splice. Car ran amazing until I updated the firmware.

My car now has a check engine light, the JB4 says no codes present and canít clear my error. My steering wheel controls stopped working and my car sputters when I push the gas hard. Maybe limp mode?

Iím now on the ISO software, but with the older JB4 I was unsure about cutting the diode. Is that the issue? Should I cut this and reinstall firmware?

Can I revert back to an older firmware? And how can I clear this engine light, uninstall the unit for now?
(#2)
Old

Car: Bmw 535i - 2011
Default 10-12-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdown16
I’m now on the ISO software, but with the older JB4 I was unsure about cutting the diode. Is that the issue? Should I cut this and reinstall firmware?
--
This is the ISO firmware Updates Post..
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47223

You Must cut the diode to put the ISO firmware , But since its the older JB4 bored i am not sure if it takes the ISO firmware terry would answer that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS

Setup notes:

1) After cutting diode and loading firmware adjust PID Gain to 25, and auto shift reduction to 60, as starting points.
2) RPM FF gain is disabled in this firmware so you'll need to manually enter a dutybias profile to match your turbocharger. This is a good starting point:
Attachment 63764
3) JB4 maps are generally the same as F series integrated firmware. FutureUseD settings are as follows:

My Advice,
Since your not a professional in JB4 , and you have the old JB4 bored
Load the latest non ISO firmware don't use the ISO, and don't cut the diode.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18588 ..., here you will find the lattest non ISO firmware, Good Luck

2011 F10 535i N55 PWG AT | JB4 - BT.Rv3 | BMS Intake | ER 4" Kittenless Down-Pipe | ER Charge-Pipe | Wagner-Tuning Competition Intercooler | https://i.imgur.com/XEO6ZpR.jpg |
(#3)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 06:05 AM

So will the firmware for N55 FSeries ODBII EWG 12 work on my Positap type JB4?
(#4)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 06:23 AM

You must know of your car has the pneumatic or electronic wastegate and then choose the firmware that fits

2014+ would be EWG
2011 to most 2013 would be PWG

2011 F10 535i N55 PWG AT | JB4 - BT.Rv3 | BMS Intake | ER 4" Kittenless Down-Pipe | ER Charge-Pipe | Wagner-Tuning Competition Intercooler | https://i.imgur.com/XEO6ZpR.jpg |
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-12-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Hooked up the JB4 to my F33 today, the older style with the brown and green wires that you splice. Car ran amazing until I updated the firmware.

My car now has a check engine light, the JB4 says no codes present and canít clear my error. My steering wheel controls stopped working and my car sputters when I push the gas hard. Maybe limp mode?

Iím now on the ISO software, but with the older JB4 I was unsure about cutting the diode. Is that the issue? Should I cut this and reinstall firmware?

Can I revert back to an older firmware? And how can I clear this engine light, uninstall the unit for now?
I have no idea what system you have, how you've connected it, or what firmware is loaded. But if you loaded a modern firmware you will need OBDII CANbus.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 02:55 PM

I have the verison of the JB4 with the Positaps (green/brown wires). I attached a pic. I have an EWG F33. The firmware I have tried were both the G5_ISO_32_9 and the N55_ISO_5_1. The unit was working fine before I upgraded the firmwares.

Can I just revert back to an older firmware? Not sure my options at this point. Thanks Terry.
Attached Images

(#7)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I have the verison of the JB4 with the Positaps (green/brown wires). I attached a pic. I have an EWG F33. The firmware I have tried were both the G5_ISO_32_9 and the N55_ISO_5_1. The unit was working fine before I upgraded the firmwares.

Can I just revert back to an older firmware? Not sure my options at this point. Thanks Terry.
Why dont you buy the new JB4, and save your self the hassle

(#8)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaqasRiyami
Why dont you buy the new JB4, and save your self the hassle
Well, because I have one already, that works perfectly fine if I have the right firmware. And a new one, plus bluetooth adapter is $675. So I would like to get the one I already own working, naturally.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM

You are not loading the correct firmware and you don't have to buy a new JB4, you just need the OBDII cable and to load the proper firmware. There is no ISO firmware for EWG.
You are trying to load N54 and N55 E-series firmware. If you order the OBDII cable, I would also recommend getting the EWG board upgrade.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_upgrades.html

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#10)
Old

Default 10-13-2017, 03:38 AM

Thanks Steve. For the OBDII, do I purchase the Cable only or the option with the JB4 side connector?
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-14-2017, 11:09 AM

You'll need the retrofit.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.