N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Infiniti Q50 3.0t VR30DDTT Red Sport and Silver Sport BMS Stage1 & JB4 BETA - 05-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Use subject to terms and conditions posted at http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.html

THIS PART IS LEGAL FOR USE ONLY IN COMPETITION RACING VEHICLES AS DEFINED UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW, AND IS NOT LEGAL FOR USE IN ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICLE. California law defines a "racing vehicle" as "a competition vehicle not used on public highways." (Calif. Health & Safety Code 39048) This part may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event. Competition-only motor vehicles may not be driven to a racing event on a public highway and must be transported on a trailer or other carrier. USE OF THIS PART IN ANY OTHER VEHICLE MAY SUBJECT YOU TO FINES AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION OF FEDERAL AND/OR STATE LAW, WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY FROM BURGER MOTORSPORTS, INC, AND CAN VOID YOUR VEHICLE'S WARRANTY. It is your responsibility to comply with all applicable federal and state laws relating to use of this part, and Burger Motorsports, Inc hereby disclaims any liability resulting from the failure to use this part in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws.

Name:  car.jpg
Views: 9909
Size:  165.8 KB

Order Link: http://burgertuning.com/infiniti_q50...nce_tuner.html

Software needed only if changing from default +3psi boost setting: Latest Interface Download.

Map Guide:

Map0: Stage1 disabled
Map1: Default performance map, 3psi over stock
Map3: Custom Target Map, select desired maximum boost over stock under "Boost Safety" user adjustment setting
All other maps and settings are unused

A BMS data cable is required to change maps and/or adjust map3 boost levels. Data logging is limited to boost pressure only.

Hey guys,

Was finally able to track down the connectors we need to play around with the new Infiniti tuning, and I have to say, the platform is pretty impressive. It might be the new 335.

The first product we're working on for the car is a simple Stage1 tune. The idea behind the Stage1 is an inexpensive and easy to install/remove product that provides substantial gains with minimal headaches and trade offs. The Stage1 manipulates the ECU boost control signals allowing us to modify boost levels, but does not manipulate the ECU manifold boost reference, allowing it to properly map timing and fueling for the higher boost levels. The end result is something that runs as smoothly as stock only with higher boost targets under heavy throttle.

The Stage1 is not intended to provide the same maximum power gains you might get with a full custom ECU tune. Although based on today's dyno testing, the initial results for the Stage1 are still quite impressive. We envision a quick installation product that can be used with the factory tuning and even with aftermarket flash tuning for those looking raise boost a little in conjunction with higher octane via E85 or race gas.

For these tests we used a 30% E85 mixture, mixing in 5 gallons of E85 to a full tank of 91. Next round we will test 93 octane. With the stock tuning we were able to make ~320whp. We then used the Stage1 tune to test progressively higher boost levels, adding 4psi, 5psi, 6psi, and ultimately 7psi over stock. To my surprise each increase in boost resulted in a fairly steady increase in power, indicating plenty of tuning room within the platform.

Red Sport Dyno Results: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=82

Silver Sport Pump Gas Dyno Results: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=83

Silver Sport E85 Dyno Results:

Name:  q50_dyno.JPEG
Views: 9423
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  q50_dyno2.JPEG
Views: 9456
Size:  90.5 KB

How to connect and change map/boost level:

Generic JB4 interface video/directions posted here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...021#post197021

Quick directions:
1) Turn car on
2) In JB4 interface select your com port. A list of active com ports will be displayed to the right.
3) Select connect
4) Once connected select map3 in drop down on logging page
5) Enter desired boost target on user adjustment page under boost safety and press save. Valid range is 0-8psi.

Stage 1 Firmware update (do not attempt to load on a JB4!):

Q50_STAGE1_2: Added option to adjust pedal to boost mapping using "Default Wastegate Position". Default value is 30, which represents 3.0psi. Below 3.0psi boost mapping is factory, above 3.0psi boost mapping is altered. Higher values may provide smoother but less powerful performance. When looking at your Stage1 logs DME BT represents the boost over stock. As you lower DWP you will hit your "over stock" boost target more quickly in the power band which may feel abrupt. If you raise it you'll hit your "over stock" boost target further up the power band which may feel smoother. If you raise it too high you'll never hit your full "over stock" boost target. During development we found 30 to be the best compromise set point and thus it's the default. It is now adjustable on map3. Probably best to avoid going below 10 or above 50.

For those who prefer a wireless solution for changing boost settings our JB4 Mobile bluetooth kit is also compatible. Note, it will only be able to datalog boost and change map/boost level.
Attached Files
File Type: hex Q50_STAGE1_2.hex (17.0 KB, 196 views)

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 05-08-2017, 03:26 PM

JB4 BETA Upgrade Kit:

The JB4 BETA upgrade kit is a replacement circuit board and extra wiring harness that adds CANbus control and other features to the Stage1 allowing multiple maps based on expanded engine criteria, more advanced logging, additonal features such as boost by gear to improve traction, and much more to come. Installing the Q50 JB4 upgrade is fairly easy and involves swapping the control board out and running an OBDII cable from the OBDII port in the car through a hole in the firewall to the engien bay.

Note the Q50/Q60 JB4 uses different firmware and different map settings. Details are posted in the upgrade PDF below.

Photo of upgrade kit:
Name:  infiniti_jb4_performance_chip_tuner.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  11.3 KB

Upgrade guide:
http://www.n54tech.com/flash_files/Q...B4_UPGRADE.pdf

JB4 Firmware Notes:

JB4_Q50_OBDII_1_5:

1) Fixed bug with pedal input showing 109 at full throttle instead of 100
2) Fixed bug with air intake temperature not updating at full throttle

JB4_Q50_OBDII_1_4:

1) Enabled OBDII code read/delete using JB4 interface. Select E series N54 until a dedicated Q50/Q60 engine type is added to interface.
2) Adjusted road speed output per BETA interface. Note currently it will log in KMH, expect a toggle soon on the interface side to allow moving between KMH and MPH.
3) Enabled boost by speed. Values of 0 disables. Otherwise "1st gear" sets maximum boost added below 31mph, "2nd gear" sets maximum boost added below 55mph, and "3rd gear" sets maximum boost added below 84mph. Generally speaking this feature will be used by RWD vehicles and in most cases only in 1st gear, with a setting of say 2psi in 2nd gear to assist with traction as needed during launches.

JB4 Maps:

Map0 - JB4 disabled
Map1 - 4psi peak
Map2 - 5psi peak
Map3 - User Adjustable fixed boost map (similar to Stage1) where “boost safety”
setting on the user adjustment page determines boost added across the power band
Map4 - Stock boost with CANbus active for data logging
Map5 - 6psi peak
Map6 - User adjustable by RPM map using settings on user adjustment page. A
setting of 5.0 would request 5psi over stock at that specific engine speed.
Map7 - 7psi peak

Q50/Q60 JB4 with BlueTooth kit demo:
Attached Files
File Type: hex JB4_Q50_OBDII_1_4.hex (41.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: hex JB4_Q50_OBDII_1_5.hex (41.7 KB, 96 views)

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 05-08-2017, 03:28 PM

This car is very impressed. Glad to have it as daily.
This can very well compete with B58 340i JB4 map 1.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#4)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 05-08-2017, 06:39 PM

Gotta wonder what the Red Sport would do, or if the mechanicals are any stouter.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#5)
Old

Car: BMW n52 530i
Default 05-09-2017, 04:11 AM

WOW...thanks for the introduction to this platform.

1) Is the red sport a twin turbo compared to the 3.0 Premium being a single turbo? If you can, could you explain any major differences between the 2 models...from what I have read, the RED SPORT has extra intercooler I think.

2) Is the stock exhaust system extremely restrictive? I have seen on q50 and q60 forums that some companies are getting 20+HP and torque with just exhaust mods.

3) How is the transmission handling the power? I have a 3.7 2015 Q50 and it is a beast, but the transmission is horrible. I wish they had put the ZF 8 speed in it.

4) When you are adding boost to the 3.0 premium, how much is the stock boost...7psi? So when you adding 6 or 7 lbs of boost, total is 14/15lbs of boost...thats seems to be about what the Red Sport is pushing stock.

5) My lease ends in September and I am looking this month to get into a new Infiniti...It looks like it is better to get into a 3.0 instead of a Red Sport because of the optical sensors in the turbos. Would you state that tuning and modifications wise, 3.0 engine is better than the red sport?

Thank you again...I am looking forward to working with yall!
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 05-09-2017, 07:51 AM

This is pretty crazy good job guys!

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now

2016 Porsche 911 (991) GT3 RS: white, PDK, carbon ceramic brakes, Fully loaded
Mods: Fabspeed race headers, competition exhaust, High flow fiters, Ecu flash race gas and pump tune, roll cage, schroth harness, clear bra.

2017 Audi R8 V10 plus- dynamite red, fully loaded
Mods: Currently stock (hopefully a super charger and full exhaust soon)
(#7)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-09-2017, 08:34 AM

Wow 90WHP was that easy? Looks like the days of walking Infiniti's is coming to an end.
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Gotta wonder what the Red Sport would do, or if the mechanicals are any stouter.
I hear it's roughly the same but with more aggressive tuning from the factory. But, looking forward to testing one in person one of these days.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...211594&o=OneUp

https://conceptzperformance.com/blog...turbochargers/

differences between the 2

Last edited by houbmw; 05-09-2017 at 06:13 PM..
(#10)
Old

Car: 2016 340i
Default 05-09-2017, 05:24 PM

This is awesome. Bye bye b58!
(#11)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-09-2017, 06:32 PM

Based on what I'm reading, theres not all that much more in that motor as delivered. The turbos seem to be extremely small, and the way they're designed, a swap is not gonna be easy. Wonder if the heads and manifolds from the GT-R will swap, as that would make upgraded turbos much easier.

Still think I'd stick with BMW and the B58 or upcoming S58.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#12)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 05-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I hear it's roughly the same but with more aggressive tuning from the factory. But, looking forward to testing one in person one of these days.
Those days are here
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Wow 90WHP was that easy? Looks like the days of walking Infiniti's is coming to an end.
It's an impressive platform and I think they also lease well like BMW. I'll stick with BMWs for my personal toys but the Q50 tuning market is going to be significant.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 05-12-2017, 10:45 AM

if u wait few months u can get the facelift, it looks much better, the same engine.
Attached Images

(#15)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
It's an impressive platform and I think they also lease well like BMW. I'll stick with BMWs for my personal toys but the Q50 tuning market is going to be significant.
Was only a matter of time before the GT-R tech filtered down. Shame the only available transmission is garbage though.
(#16)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-12-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Was only a matter of time before the GT-R tech filtered down. Shame the only available transmission is garbage though.
Infinitis 7 speed isn't that bad. I mean its not a ZF8, but its not a Ford AODE either. Its still worlds better and quicker than anything manual.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#17)
Old

Default 05-12-2017, 01:12 PM

The transmission sucks on this one...I have 43K on my 2014 3.7 Q50 and the transmission is the weakest link by far. Just my opinion...they could have went with something that handles a bit more torque unless they beefed up the internals somehow. This is the only thing hesitating me from getting into the Infiniti again, rather than go over to the 340i at a higher price.
(#18)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 05-12-2017, 03:26 PM

I dunno. I haven't driven the Q50 I don't think (if I did it didn't leave an impact, cause I don't remember it). I did drive the M56 though when I bought my GT, which I thought used the same gearbox and it wasn't horrible. To each their own I guess.

Mike Levy
2017 X3 xDrive35i
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-18-2017, 08:26 PM

Was able to get a red sport in today to checkout and tune. Same Stage1 tune worked flawlessly! Factory boost peaks at 13pi... Tuned for 91 I let it peak at 16psi. We'll get this car on the dyno next week to evaluate potential gains.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Car: F30 LCI 330I
Default 05-19-2017, 04:15 AM

Wow I am always interested in getting an infiniti in future... the price for Q50 Red Sport in Hong Kong is so tempting and much better then what BMW offers...

I only hope there are some well modded Q50 so to see how this beast could be turned!
(#21)
Old

Car: 2014 F10 535
Default 05-24-2017, 01:57 PM

This is awesome. The market would be HUGE for a infinit version JB4. I get asked everyday when it'll be available by my friends who have these cars, most of them all red sports Sutton waiting to buy it.
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Stage1 tunes are about ready to go. If demand is high we'll look in to Stage1->JB4 upgrade kits down the road.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 05-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Stage1 tunes are about ready to go. If demand is high we'll look in to Stage1->JB4 upgrade kits down the road.
That's great news! Gotta get this posted in the Infiniti Q50/q60 group. Except I can't do it, banned cause everyone catches feelings there lol
(#24)
Old

Default 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM

Terry get someone on the forums this **** will sell hot hot cakes!!
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-25-2017, 09:09 AM

What is the main Q50 forum everyone uses?

Burger Motorsports