N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 E85 Development Updates - 04-20-2017, 09:32 AM

Hey guys,

Been spending the last few days working on improving JB4 E85 integration, and figured it's time for a little update on short and longer term updates. Although this post is specifically for N54 applications similar changes will be made across all JB4 platforms.

1) Added dedicated E85 parameter to interface. It's finally time for E85 to have a permanent home on the interface and datalogs which will become the basis for many E85 integration features to come. We've added it to the windows software and Donnie will be making similar changes to JB4 Mobile shortly. This new field will only fill in when using updated JB4 firmware.

If equipped with a hard wired flex fuel sensor then this field will show the actual reading off the sensor. e.g. true ethanol mixture.

If not equipped with a hard wired flex fuel sensor this field will show the output from our work in progress virtual flex fuel sensor.

Calculated torque is being returned to "DutyC" in the interface.

Name:  interface_change.jpg
Views: 7205
Size:  81.9 KB

2) Port injection integration. We've reworked the JB4 port injection mapping so that it can now take in to account your ethanol mixture automatically. We've enabled it for those running a hard-wired sensor, but not quite ready to enable it for virtual sensor readings, since there is still some work to go on that development. But the logic is all in place to enable that as soon as we're ready. The benefit here is to eliminate users having to fiddle with port injection volume settings when making fuel mixture changes.

3) We're improving how the JB4 manipulates it's boost and timing profile based on varying ethanol mixtures. Expect to hear more on that in the coming weeks.

4) Taking advantage of new flashing developments. Inspired by MHD hijacking a voltage in to the DME we've learned how to hijack the DME DTML voltage input and then monitor it back out on CANbus using PID 0x5A, 0x17.

To confirm the voltage input works I patched the input wire over to the gas pedal as shown below. Worth noting the Fuel-IT analyzer uses a simple voltage formula like 0-0.1v = 0% E85 and .1v - 5v = 0-100% E85, which I expect will be compatible with any flash DME flex fuel sensor voltage input logic released.

This approach can be used to have the DME read the voltage of any ethanol analyzer or JB4 output, and when combined with MHD development rumored to be in the works for table blending based on a voltage input, would allow us to incrementally improve our JB4 back end flash maps.

On BimmerBoost I was asked how the new MHD flex fuel flash logic might apply to what we're doing with the JB4 back end flash maps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky
I just want to understand this. Will the JB4 be able to use an ethanol sensor without a backend flash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
The JB4 offers support for a hardwired ethanol sensor. In fact there are maybe 500 out in use. In addition we're developing a virtual sensor so the JB4 can get close on measuring ethanol mixture without the extra cost/headache of installing a sensor. We're also improving our flex fuel tuning as demand is heating up these days for it. I spent the last few hrs working on autoscaling JB4 port injection mapping as a function of a hardwired or virtual flex fuel sensor for example.

What is new is that MHD is releasing some new tables that on the flash end allow blending of a fuel scalar table, timing table, load table, etc, based on a voltage input. They were telling me the only way to get a voltage input in to the DME would be via their flex fuel hardware. Of course this made no sense to me and as you can see in my video above we have a voltage input in to the DTML parameter. There are other pins that can be used also like MAP IAT circuit, etc.

How it goes from here is unknown and really up to how MHD wants to release their new tables. My suggestion is they offer them as a pay per use option. Like MBOOST. So someone pays $25 or whatever to unlock the function when loading a MHD file or back end flash file. If they do it that way then we can add those tables to our JB4 BEF for interested customers to further improve their flex fuel tuning.
v32.8 Firmware Notes

1) Revised port injection mapping internal algorithm. Default values remain 50 across the board.
2) Added dedicated E85 logging parameter to interface, which will output actual ethanol content if equipped with a physical sensor or virtual content if not.
3) Added virtual flex fuel calibration field under ethanol setup on the methanol tab. Default value is 132 which we've found working well for our test cars running our E85 back end flash map (1.30 low load fuel scalar). Will publish new default values for factory flash and PUMP/RACE flash after more user data is collected.
4) Added user adjustable option for scaling port injection flow based on ethanol content, using either an actual or virtual flex fuel sensor.
5) Adjusted menu1 in dash so that a selection of 0 disables auto-clear in addition to selection 4. We will likely reassign selection 4 to another purpose in the future.
6) Relocated user adjustable WMI PWM mapping from FUA=60 to a dedicated option on the methanol page under ethanol settings.
7) Moved "calculated torque" back to "dutyC" logging parameter.
8) Added FUA=65 setting to disable fuel trim variance safety 5 in situations where you are already aware there is a hardware problem with the motor and just want to take your chances with it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 04-20-2017, 10:17 AM

Very nice work. Looking forward to some new features.

Keep it up jb4 gang.

2007 335xi MT, JB4, bms dci, 5"vrsf stepped fmic, **'s, vrsf full silicone inlets, mpp silicone outlets, er chargepipe, hyperboost diverter valves
(#3)
Old

Car: V10M5 & turbo stuff
Default 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM

That's awesome!
Finally a true way to fine tune our E85 mixture.

www.themalibumafia.com
Instagram - @MalibuMV
2006 BMW M5 - REALLY LOUD
2007 BMW 335i - Single Turbo 6266
(#4)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Great news indeed!

#inbeforeJakeSh*tsAllOverIt

2014 F21 M135i | 8ZF | JB4 | ** | FTP charge pipe | FTP boost pipe | AC Schnitzer FMIC | Eibach Pro
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM

Wait...Terry is this functional right now? or is this coming soon?

Single Turbo Z4 that's constantly broken
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Functional now if you have latest interface and JB4 firmware emailed over.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 09' 335i Sedan
Default 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM

awesome work!
(#8)
Old

Car: '70 E9 Turbo, '88 M5, '11 335d
Default 04-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Sweet!!! Looking forward to playing with this!

(#9)
Old

Car: 2010 335i xDrive E90
Default 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Functional now if you have latest interface and JB4 firmware emailed over.
Emailed over....Newer than the 32_6b then? How do we get ahold of this?
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-20-2017, 02:42 PM

N54 is v32_8

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old
Legend

Car: e90 335i
Default 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM

I need my cars back on the road so I can test.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
N54 is v32_8
Okay. Will it be placed here?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605
Or should I be looking somewhere else for it? Thanks!
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-20-2017, 02:54 PM

I have not posted it yet since we're still doing development, if you want to test just drop me an email, and I can send the current test version.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I have not posted it yet since we're still doing development, if you want to test just drop me an email, and I can send the current test version.
Will do. What's your email address? Didn't see one in your contact info.
(#15)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 04-20-2017, 03:04 PM

This is cool. Great work T. Little things like this make me miss my N54.

SOLD - FBO N54, Pure Turbos stage 2, TFT inlets, JB4/MHD, EOS intake manifold w/PI, Fuel-it stage 3
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 04-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Yes, this is a very nice feature that we've been running and testing for a while. It'll really help with the tuning for those of you that run various ethanol mixes.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#17)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 04-20-2017, 08:36 PM

I can't begin to thank you Terry, and all others such as Steve @ Fuel-It, and everyone else who continues to help make this a user-friendly platform. The amount of time and effort you all put in to help with logs, develop new FREE software, etc. makes me extremely grateful for you guys. I honestly do not see a reason why to upgrade to another vehicle when after two years of owning my n54 features are still pouring out. Thank you all for making the ownership of my car that much more enjoyable.
(#18)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E92
Default 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM

I swear Terry's constant JB4 enhancements will ensure I never sell this car platform (even after all the maintenance nightmares). Keep it up!
(#19)
Old
Legend

Default 04-21-2017, 02:33 AM

and what about non US cars ?
DMTL is present only on US cars.
EU or AUS cars don't have DMTL system, so I suppose the DME doesn't monitor any DMTL input signal, or am I wrong ?

FBO N54 AT 135i 'vert with JB4 and Trebila Performance custom flash
(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebila
and what about non US cars ?
DMTL is present only on US cars.
EU or AUS cars don't have DMTL system, so I suppose the DME doesn't monitor any DMTL input signal, or am I wrong ?
The input is present on all DME's so it should work just fine for EU cars.

PS. I know you'll be happy to have calculated torque back where it was in logs!

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Yes, this is a very nice feature that we've been running and testing for a while. It'll really help with the tuning for those of you that run various ethanol mixes.
I'm pretty excited about the possibility too. The flex fuel sensor is the most accurate way to determine E85 mixtures but even for those who have it, having the virtual sensor running in the background for the JB4 to compare with, provides a nice safety backup. We've all seen this video by now showing how flex fuel sensors pickup water or anything that is not gasoline as ethanol.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Adding in new interface settings for all the various ethanol related setup functions. There are a lot of bases to cover....

WMI
FlexFuel
WMI + Flex Fuel
WMI + Port Injection
Port Injection only
Port Injection + Flex Fuel
WMI+FlexFuel+Port Injection

Then of course the Virtual FlexFuel sensor running in the background providing either a safety system for a hardwired ethanol sensor or a "close enough" ethanol content reading.

With all this the extra DME voltage input is actually going to come in very handy here when running multiple items like PI + WMI or WMI + FlexFuel....
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 04-24-2017, 07:35 AM

@Terry- Any way I could get that update file? You can PM it over to me and if you need any logs or anything let me know. I dont have the sensor but I do run E85 mixes usually 4-5 gallons and since at the pump it is usually E70 I am targeting to get like an E30 blend but really am shooting in the dark. This could be awesome for me to help keep a consistent eye on the mix.
(#24)
Old

Default 04-25-2017, 11:46 AM

AWESOME Terry!!!

|2008 135i N54 | VRSF FBO| Motiv Port Injection | BMS PI Controller| AD-E ST Kit 6062 | JB4 G5 ISO 13.0 | BMS ST/MHD E85 Flash | 60% e70 | Fuel-It Stage3 LPFP | Spec2+/SMFW |3.5 TMAP | NLS

"stock"
(#25)
Old

Default 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM

This is amazing. Definitely want to try it out.

2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread