N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 B58 Methanol Dyno Testing - 450whp - 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM

Hey guys,

Had a chance to strap down our 2016 340i today for an hour of dyno tuning. Having done lots of runway testing last weekend at Shift Sector, including taking down a stock tune M4, I had a feeling the car was going to perform pretty well on the dyno. And was not disappointed.

The current setup is 100% stock except for a B58 JB4 BETA, BMS intake, and a BMS B58 water/meth kit. Exhaust is fully stock. Fuel was ~93 octane and meth mixture ~80%.

The BMS B58 water/meth kit has some additional parts not included in our normal kits including a PNP nozzle adapter, an EWG connector for the JB4, and some additional fittings.

With the EWG connector in place we're able to control as much boost as the turbo wants to make. But we've found power peaks out ~21psi, despite the turbo willingly making much more boost. Runs from 22-24psi at the same timing values all resulted in the same or less power. So we're probably approaching the stock turbo limits now. Maybe another 15-20whp ultimately in there with exhaust and other work.

Most impressive is how well it holds power to redline especially relative to previous turbo BMW motors like the N54 & notoriously weak top end N55. I'm pretty excited about this new motor.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: e90 335i
Default 03-04-2016, 05:17 PM

Wow, I need that meth kit to do some testing with a ********.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
BMS Customer Service

Car: bmw 335i
Default 03-04-2016, 05:21 PM

Awesome! Can't wait to see turbo upgrades.

This is why I lost! Making more power then M3/M4 on stock tuning.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#4)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 03-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Wow, had my heart set out for a m2 in the future. But now looking at the b58 potential I might want to get a 240i lol. Very impressive numbers!
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2016, 06:24 PM

That would be something is the B58 had more potential. I can't wait to get my hands on an M2 for a day or two.

Burger Motorsports

(#6)
Old

Car: 2012 335i 6mt
Default 03-04-2016, 07:52 PM

damn this is depressing for us E series n55 guys... thinking maybe its time to upgrade.

2012 335i Msport E92 6mt M3 gauge cluster, FBO, Jb4 G5 iso w/ff, BMS meth kit, Stg2 LPFP, Fuel-it TBI, 3.5bar, Pure turbo w/ inlet pipe and GFB DV
(#7)
Old

Car: F30 335i msport
Default 03-04-2016, 08:27 PM

Dang thats how much jb4 M4 makes on map 1 .. Thats a serious Statement from B58 ..

1993 Dodge Caravan ( Bone Stock )

2016 Tanzanite Blue F80 M3 jb4 , awe non res, bmc filters.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2012 F30 335i
Default 03-04-2016, 08:33 PM

Unbelievable! Makes me feel really bad about my N55...
(#9)
Old

Car: f30
Default 03-05-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Hey guys,

Had a chance to strap down our 2016 340i today for an hour of dyno tuning. Having done lots of runway testing last weekend at Shift Sector, including taking down a stock tune M4, I had a feeling the car was going to perform pretty well on the dyno. And was not disappointed.

The current setup is 100% stock except for a B58 JB4 BETA, BMS intake, and a BMS B58 water/meth kit. Exhaust is fully stock. Fuel was ~93 octane and meth mixture ~80%.

The BMS B58 water/meth kit has some additional parts not included in our normal kits including a PNP nozzle adapter, an EWG connector for the JB4, and some additional fittings.

With the EWG connector in place we're able to control as much boost as the turbo wants to make. But we've found power peaks out ~21psi, despite the turbo willingly making much more boost. Runs from 22-24psi at the same timing values all resulted in the same or less power. So we're probably approaching the stock turbo limits now. Maybe another 15-20whp ultimately in there with exhaust and other work.

Most impressive is how well it holds power to redline especially relative to previous turbo BMW motors like the N54 & notoriously weak top end N55. I'm pretty excited about this new motor.
which map you used with meth or when you made 450whp ?
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: F20 M135i
Default 03-05-2016, 11:01 AM

That are indeed impressive numbers for stock turbo and just meth with JB4.
Not sad having N55 as it has Pure Stage2 But looks like B58 is very promising!

F80 M3 - 100-200: 5.30 (in progress)
F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26
peter@pureturbos.eu
peter@pureturbos.com
peter@protuningfreaks.com
pureturbos.eu
(#11)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty335i
damn this is depressing for us E series n55 guys... thinking maybe its time to upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC792
Unbelievable! Makes me feel really bad about my N55...
It really does... It's great to see how much potential newer BMWs have though.

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
12.6 @ 112MPH 92 Octane | 11.8 @ 120MPH E30 MHD
Custom MHD Tune | XHP Stage 3 | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7in Intercooler | Methanol Injection | Performance Line D-P | Pure Inlet | Pure Stage 2 | Go Fast Bits DV+ | Diff Lockdown Bracket |

2014 E84 X1 35i - Stock For now 13.9 @ 99MPH 292 AWHP 300 AWTQ
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELPROO
which map you used with meth or when you made 450whp ?
For the B58 meth is attached to map7 with a variable additive that determines the level of aggressiveness.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 03-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Terry, do you think this motor can do 450whp with just a JB4 and race gas (instead of meth), a la the N54 I used to run, or is the platform stingy on fuel like the N55?
(#14)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 335i
Default 03-07-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker
Terry, do you think this motor can do 450whp with just a JB4 and race gas (instead of meth), a la the N54 I used to run, or is the platform stingy on fuel like the N55?
I'm pretty sure he said that the stock fueling is maxed out near 385-395whp and that you would need something external such as meth, port injection, or throttle body injection (which meth on this platform is)

2011 E92 335i Auto
12.0 @ 125MPH JB4
12.6 @ 112MPH 92 Octane | 11.8 @ 120MPH E30 MHD
Custom MHD Tune | XHP Stage 3 | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7in Intercooler | Methanol Injection | Performance Line D-P | Pure Inlet | Pure Stage 2 | Go Fast Bits DV+ | Diff Lockdown Bracket |

2014 E84 X1 35i - Stock For now 13.9 @ 99MPH 292 AWHP 300 AWTQ
(#15)
Old

Default 03-07-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Boost
I'm pretty sure he said that the stock fueling is maxed out near 385-395whp and that you would need something external such as meth, port injection, or throttle body injection (which meth on this platform is)
Thanks for reminding me. You're following this pretty closely!
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker
No the IPW cap limits power around 390whp (at reasonable AFR) without a 3rd party fuel source.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Car: bmw 340i
Default 03-08-2016, 10:28 AM

TERRY ORDER THE METH KIT AND THE DOWN ***** FROM VM AND I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT MAP SHOULD I RUN AND IS THERE AN UPDATES ON THE MAPS FOR THE B58 JB4 AND BOOST GAUGE STILL DOES NOT WORK AND SENT IN A DATA LOG
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM

If you need tech support on a BETA product you'd have to email in.

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default 03-08-2016, 10:52 AM

terry what your email thank you
(#20)
Old
Legend

Default 03-08-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iwhite
terry what your email thank you
Matt? You can email me as well for troubleshooting.

Burger Motorsports

(#21)
Old

Default 03-08-2016, 11:00 AM

sweet what your email man
(#22)
Old

Car: 135i, 2010, N55, DCT
Default 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Well done Terry

N55 DCT, 135i, 12.00@116.2, W/O Meth
,12.01@119.3, With Meth
,11.91@119.025 added BMS Intake
,12.10@115 e85 + ISO
390whp@497 - 0.60 in 3.75sec
(#23)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 03-08-2016, 11:44 AM

Was this using dual CM5's or larger? Also, think there is a chance to gather individual cylinder data to ensure proper meth distribution?

From the looks of it the n55 has a little more grunt in the lower rpm's, especially the pure stage 2 dynos that you have as a example, something like 100+whp at 4krpm. I bet the efficiency is up due to higher compression (and I am sure other things).

2011 N55 135I, Pure Stage 2, Pure Inlet, JB4 + BEF, Fuel-it port injection & stage 2 LPFP, Big Tom Fmic, AR Catted **, ER CP, Mfactory stage 3+SMFW, KW V1, Apex EC-7
(#24)
Old
Legend

Default 03-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iwhite
sweet what your email man
PayamHarouni@gmail.com

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Car: AW 1M
Default 03-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
That would be something is the B58 had more potential. I can't wait to get my hands on an M2 for a day or two.
I can't wait until you get your hands on a M2 as well! Mine will be here mid-April.

'16 LBB M2 in production
'11 BMW 1M sold