Car: 2006 E46 330cic ZHP
Default Secondary cats and center muffler (e60 535i) - 10-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Name:  0D401758-BD0D-41A1-B7D1-C7227008B53C.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  C856D9EA-8AE0-425B-AB30-65983552545A.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  84.3 KB

In this pic, the oem exhaust I have on my car, are those secondary cats also resonators or just cats?
Also, the CENTER MUFFLER as it is called in RealOEM.com...is it truly a MUFFLER, or is it a resonator, or resonator/muffler combo?

Before anyone yells...my understanding is that a resonator tunes frequencies and a muffler attenuates volume. Either can do both but it is more of an unintended side result, not the primary intention for a resonator to muffle or for a muffler to tune.

Thanks,
// Radar //

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup w/dual CM5s, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler

Last edited by RadarContact; 10-15-2017 at 04:17 PM..
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 10-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Yes, they are secondary cats only. ***'s are emissions devices that are single-purpose, that do not have resonating/muffling effects directly intended. However we all know cats do affect the volume/tone of exhaust.

Center muffler - I think you can just accept it's a muffler and stop splitting hairs on that point

2009 535i Sport
JB4 G5 | MHD E85 Hybrid BEF | VTT GC Lites | VTT Inlets | VTT Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 Bar TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD | 15mm Rear Spacers
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Yes, they are secondary cats only. ***'s are emissions devices that are single-purpose, that do not have resonating/muffling effects directly intended. However we all know cats do affect the volume/tone of exhaust.

Center muffler - I think you can just accept it's a muffler and stop splitting hairs on that point
Spot on 👍
(#4)
Old

Default 10-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Iím not trying to split hairs, really. Iím thinking of what I can/want to delete and what I should keep.

I have two friends that have cars with custom exhausts. One is a 900hp 2004 (?) GTO, and the other is a 2007 Vette. Both have terrible drone. I wonít even ride in the GTO any more, itís so bad it gives me a headache. The Vette isnít as bad but itís super annoying.
I drive my car 52 miles to from work every day, so I just simply canít have the drone. Period.

That said...
If the 2ndCats are just cats (as I assumed that they were, but had to ask) then I think Iíll go straight ***** from the D/Ps back to the center muffler. Iím going to assume that the center muffler both attenuates and is also engineered to reduce drone, so I may leave it as well. Or maybe Iíll replace it with another resonator-only model, like a straight-through type. I would like more volume when I step into the gas, so that may help. Dunno.

Then Iím thinking of ditching the rear mufflers and replacing them with a single high-quality muffler with double tips or maybe going the SuperTrapp route using two 4Ē units. Again, dunno yet. Still planning and asking questions.

Thanks for your feedback, as always!

// Radar //

2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, type-135 wheels w/spacers & Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup w/dual CM5s, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV, BMS Oil Cooler
(#5)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 10-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarContact
Iím not trying to split hairs, really. Iím thinking of what I can/want to delete and what I should keep.

I have two friends that have cars with custom exhausts. One is a 900hp 2004 (?) GTO, and the other is a 2007 Vette. Both have terrible drone. I wonít even ride in the GTO any more, itís so bad it gives me a headache. The Vette isnít as bad but itís super annoying.
I drive my car 52 miles to from work every day, so I just simply canít have the drone. Period.

That said...
If the 2ndCats are just cats (as I assumed that they were, but had to ask) then I think Iíll go straight ***** from the D/Ps back to the center muffler. Iím going to assume that the center muffler both attenuates and is also engineered to reduce drone, so I may leave it as well. Or maybe Iíll replace it with another resonator-only model, like a straight-through type. I would like more volume when I step into the gas, so that may help. Dunno.

Then Iím thinking of ditching the rear mufflers and replacing them with a single high-quality muffler with double tips or maybe going the SuperTrapp route using two 4Ē units. Again, dunno yet. Still planning and asking questions.

Thanks for your feedback, as always!

// Radar //
Yeah, it's a black art to tune out droning sometimes.
I don't know what the inside of the OEM center muffler looks like, but quite possibly would be restrictive.
Maybe consider a crossover (X, H) pipe in addition to replacing the center muffler with resonator(s).

If you do Super Trapps ... post a sound clip for sure. That I gotta hear.

2009 535i Sport
JB4 G5 | MHD E85 Hybrid BEF | VTT GC Lites | VTT Inlets | VTT Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 Bar TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD | 15mm Rear Spacers
(#6)
Old

Car: 2010 535i M-Sport
Default 10-12-2017, 10:59 AM

I still love Evan's and I am sure I am copying it piece by piece when I am ready to ditch the OEM unit.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34199

'10 535i ///M Sport
RB PCV ē Mishimoto OCC ē BMS DCI ē ER FMIC & CP ē Forge DV ē E60 exhaust mod ē MHD E40 Tune
(#7)
Old

Default 10-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Oh man...just read that post. First of all, THANKS! That gives me lots of encouragement!!

The only thing(s) about his system that I would maybe change if I were to “copy” it...and for no other reason than just my initial gut-feeling/intuition and also realizing that BMW engineers probably know a thing or two (so id tend to lean more towards their thinking if I was able to):

1) I think I would have waited to merge and maybe put Vibrants (or other straight-through resonators of choice) on the twin tubes leading to the
2) Magnaflow (or other of choice) which I’d have placed second and farther down the line (maybe where oem center muffler is now), then
3) merged to single pipe out of the Magnaflow (2-in, 1-out) until I got to the tips (where it’d split into two tubes/tips, just for looks)
(I really like the flex piece which I’d already decided would be part of any new system I came up with)
I’m sure there’s a million ways to re-engineer this bitch, I just need to figure out which way is best for me.

// Radar //

Last edited by RadarContact; 10-12-2017 at 07:02 PM..
(#8)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Default 10-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Agreed. Sounds like a good plan - layout of the components makes a difference in sound/volume.

2009 535i Sport
(#9)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 10-15-2017, 10:32 AM

The 535 muffler is split like the m5 with a huge pipe of the resonator. The exhaust itself does have numerous squish points, if you were going to free up some power and flow, the c**a would be a great place to start.
(#10)
Old

Default 10-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
The 535 muffler is split like the m5 with a huge pipe of the resonator.
Not sure what you mean by that statement. Are you referring to the two mufflers at the rear bumper, I.e. at the end of themexhaust? If so, yes I am aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
The exhaust itself does have numerous squish points, if you were going to free up some power and flow, the c**a would be a great place to start.
Again, sorry, not exactly sure what you mean by “squish points”. I have heard that term before so I’m sure it’s my ignorance. Does that refer to where the pipe is compression-bent vs mandrel bent/stretched?

Yes, the 2ndaryKtz are gone regardless of anything else I do! Lol

Last edited by RadarContact; 10-18-2017 at 10:06 AM..
(#11)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi Msport
Default 10-18-2017, 09:19 AM

Hello everyone new to forum and love reading all the different topics and all the incredible knowledge that you guys bring to the table. im just learning how to navigate on here, cant even post a profile pic as it keeps failing to upload grrrrr.

COBB tuned 2008 535xi Msport, 3" AR design ******* ********* , ER front mount intercooler with charge pipe and forge diverter valves, bms DCI ,upgraded bmw turbos only "sadly Canadian dollar was very low at the time of upgrade as I wanted RB turbos) ....... just this summer I opened up my exhaust.
(#12)
Old

Default 10-18-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite5er
..... just this summer I opened up my exhaust.
Well hey, WELCOME!

(Some of us have more questions than knowledge, for sure! Lol)

What did you do to your exhaust system? If you have pics, I’d love to see them!

// Radar //

(#13)
Old

Default 10-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarContact
Well hey, WELCOME!

(Some of us have more questions than knowledge, for sure! Lol)

What did you do to your exhaust system? If you have pics, Iíd love to see them!

// Radar //

So I have no cats at all, from the turbos to 3" AR D/P's then into those 2.5" ***** the first part of the exhaust that does that crazy bend to direct towards the middle of the car(those ***** are next years project to go 3" some how) ..... after that its 3" to the back with two 18" long race resonators In the middle then my tips are 3' inlet but 4" wide and 12" long. turbos spool so nicely and sound great , back end pushing out a lot of air its wild and no drone on the highway at all, wow what a difference. no dyno yet gonna set up an appointment on a AWD dyno nest spring after I get a custom map done on the cobb for more power , right not its stage two aggressive ********* fmic. hope this makes sense sorry hope there are no English teachers on here critiquing the new guy hahahaha!!! just happy to be here
(#14)
Old

Default 10-18-2017, 10:59 AM

why does this forum block out the full written word D/P's or P's ????
(#15)
Old

Default 10-18-2017, 11:10 AM

cant upload pic, says pic size to large ugh hahaha
(#16)
Old

Default 10-18-2017, 11:33 AM

Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  85.4 KB