N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default White Smoke, Did my VTT GC turbos blowup? - 03-18-2018, 11:55 AM

I just installed a 7.5in race intercooler and just my luck i dont even get to test it out before running into a new problem. I drove the car yesterday for the first time since installing the new intercooler and to a max of 4.5 or 5k rpms and never had any issues like this before. My turbos are not boosting and I have smoke coming out the rear tail *****.

Whats more odd is that this happened while i was driving home. I didnt even notice it until i got close to the house and i heard the strange sound after i turned my radio off. I didnt notice the smoke until i got home. Something is very off and im not sure where to start.

White Smoke Video
https://youtu.be/ljWnRzBb3gk

Strange sound when starting to accelerate.
https://youtu.be/2QW7qGwMrzU

I tested the injectors and those seem good.
https://youtu.be/rjl5SieDCCM

Well I just got under the car. All the piping is secure from the turbos. Nothing is loose at all not even in intake ***** going into the turbos.

This is what the car sounded like today (idle when cold, sounds the same when warm)
https://youtu.be/euHpILZCG0I

So today i decided to tear as much apart as i had time for. I took out the intercooler and pulled off the charge pipe. No oil, and no metal anywhere. I wanted to look at the turbo inlets by taking the silicone pipe off, but it looked impossible without tearing alot more stuff off. I'm probably better off taking my ********* off and looking that way to see the exhaust side. I never installed **'s before so this will be an experince to remove especailly on a XI. I need to get two new jack stands and a taller jack in order to do this though.

Before i do that, does anyone have any other suggestions on what to try? I even tried a reflash, turned the boost down and turned off the PI to rule it out, but still no boost.

Has anyone ever heard of two turbos failing at the same time?

Also I'm still not getting any codes (never have either), anyone know why?

I have a compression tester coming later today so ill give that a go to see whats happening, hopefully its not to cheap and works for this simple test.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-03-18 13_12_09.csv (130.4 KB, 4 views)

2009 335i X-Drive | GC Turbos | Vargas silicone cold/hotside, | Fuel It PI with FPR and return line and BMS controller | Fuel It Stage 3 fuel pump | BMS dual cone instakes | BMS Catch Can | VRSF 7" Intercooler | Forge Diverter Valves | JB4 G5 ISO with Blutooth/JB4 Mobile App | n20 tmap sensor 3.5 bar | AR After turbo Exhaust
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Tough to tell from the videos...

Any oil on the exhaust tips?

What GCs do you have? The 2.0 version?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Pure Turbos
TFT Inlet System
Fueling by Fuel-It!
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM

How old are the GCs? The originals had turbine issues that were just updated recently. Most likely the turbine failed. If you are the original purchaser VTT will fix the issue for free.

07 E90 335i 6mt
(#4)
Old

Default 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Tough to tell from the videos...

Any oil on the exhaust tips?

What GCs do you have? The 2.0 version?
There the 1.0 version. There is no oil on the exhaust tips, just condensation; however, the smoke does kinda smell like oil, hard to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500
How old are the GCs? The originals had turbine issues that were just updated recently. Most likely the turbine failed. If you are the original purchaser VTT will fix the issue for free.
I'm not the original owner of the car. I actually purchased the car from my cousin for cheap as soon as i saw his car for sale. He purchased them in early 2016 and had them installed. There's only 8 to 10k miles on the car since they were installed.

I've been in contact with him and hes trouble shooted me alot, but were both down to thinking turbos just wont spool. Were both actually stumped as to how both turbos could have gone out at the exact same time. Seems very odd, which is why im posting on the forums for some extra advice before going in a having no choice but to pull them.

2009 335i X-Drive | GC Turbos | Vargas silicone cold/hotside, | Fuel It PI with FPR and return line and BMS controller | Fuel It Stage 3 fuel pump | BMS dual cone instakes | BMS Catch Can | VRSF 7" Intercooler | Forge Diverter Valves | JB4 G5 ISO with Blutooth/JB4 Mobile App | n20 tmap sensor 3.5 bar | AR After turbo Exhaust
(#5)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 03-18-2018, 03:52 PM

When we forget about the white smoke.. isnt it the boost leak? I have seen two cars that got a huge boost leak and their turbos did not make any pressure, out of nothing..

E92 335i N54, Hexon RR500, JB4, DCI, ER chargepipe, Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV, ATM intercooler, Wagner downp*pes, custom exhaust, oil cooler, trebila flash (via MHD Flasher), E60, M Performance 370mm brakes, styling 313 wheels, M Performance suspension, Fuelit Stage2, MFactory LSD, MFactory SMWF
(#6)
Old
Legend

Default 03-18-2018, 04:06 PM

I’d contact VTT / Chris- he’s around here & knowledgeable + helpful.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Pure Turbos
TFT Inlet System
Fueling by Fuel-It!
(#7)
Old

Default 03-18-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Iíd contact VTT / Chris- heís around here & knowledgeable + helpful.
Thanks, my cousin sent him an email since he was the one who bought them and had them installed before passsing the car onto me.

While im waiting i did some more troubleshooting.

Compression test passed, Front turbo's intake looks good. The rear is to hard to get to on the XI without removing alot. At that point i might as well tackel the turbos.

Any other suggestions?
Attached Images

(#8)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 03-18-2018, 06:59 PM

Maybe get a cheap endoscope from amazon. That way you can check the turbines by going up through the *********.

07 E90 335i 6mt
(#9)
Old

Default 03-18-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500
Maybe get a cheap endoscope from amazon. That way you can check the turbines by going up through the *********.
Thats a good idea, didnt think about that. I plan to buy an air compressor tomorrow to check for a boost leak, thats my second to last test before pulling the ********* to physically look at the turbos.

(#10)
Old
Legend

Default 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM

Check the wheels- a little radial play (side to side) is “ok” but there should be no axial in/out play. Also you don’t want any evidence of the wheels making contact with the housing.

I suspect you will have to drop the subframe & pull the *********, sadly.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Pure Turbos
TFT Inlet System
Fueling by Fuel-It!
(#11)
Old

Default 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Check the wheels- a little radial play (side to side) is “ok” but there should be no axial in/out play. Also you don’t want any evidence of the wheels making contact with the housing.

I suspect you will have to drop the subframe & pull the *********, sadly.
I figured I'll update the thread for those who didnt see it on the other forums. I Pulled the ********* and dropped the subframe and it was exactly like i suspected. I really didnt want this to be the case, but the rear turbo exhaust turbine is damaged. It failed like the other GC version 1 kits out there.

I'm not sure what im going to do. I really dont want to pay for a rebuild when its obviously a design defect. This would be like me paying for the wastegate rattle problem when bmw knew it was defective from failures which is why they extended the warranty on it. Bill could have had this fixed under warranty for free the first year had he not only used the car 3 months putting 4k miles a year on it (his summer car). He gave it to me because of a new addition to the family and this is not a car for them to ride in. I've had the car for 2k miles (mostly highway) and this issue is negativley effecting my outlook on these turbos.

The worst part is about this problem is that it happened when driving home. No high rpm pulls only freeway passing 4-5k max rpms, had this happened at full boost i bet the propeller would have been shatters alot more. If i had to guess the propellers had cracks on them that took a while to finally break since Bill didnt drive the car hard and i've proabbly only put 8-10 pulls on it and most didnt even max the rpms out for the logs that i posted in a previous thread on this forum.
Attached Images

Last edited by buster84; 03-22-2018 at 03:11 PM..
(#12)
Old
Legend

Default 03-22-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84
I figured I'll update the thread for those who didnt see it on the other forums. I Pulled the ********* and dropped the subframe and it was exactly like i suspected. I really didnt want this to be the case, but the rear turbo exhaust turbine is damaged. It failed like the other GC version 1 kits out there.

I'm not sure what im going to do. I really dont want to pay for a rebuild when its obviously a design defect. This would be like me paying for the wastegate rattle problem when bmw knew it was defective from failures which is why they extended the warranty on it. Bill could have had this fixed under warranty for free the first year had he not only used the car 3 months putting 4k miles a year on it (his summer car). He gave it to me because of a new addition to the family and this is not a car for them to ride in. I've had the car for 2k miles (mostly highway) and this issue is negativley effecting my outlook on these turbos.

The worst part is about this problem is that it happened when driving home. No high rpm pulls only freeway passing 4-5k max rpms, had this happened at full boost i bet the propeller would have been shatters alot more. If i had to guess the propellers had cracks on them that took a while to finally break since Bill didnt drive the car hard and i've proabbly only put 8-10 pulls on it and most didnt even max the rpms out for the logs that i posted in a previous thread on this forum.
Ouch

Sorry to see that. Have you been able to reach any resolution with VTT?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Pure Turbos
TFT Inlet System
Fueling by Fuel-It!
(#13)
Old

Default 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Ouch

Sorry to see that. Have you been able to reach any resolution with VTT?
Yeah, they wont help at all. I have a huge thread going on the issue.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476987

(#14)
Old
Legend

Default 03-25-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84
Yeah, they wont help at all. I have a huge thread going on the issue.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1476987
Thatís unfortunate...eshhh

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Pure Turbos
TFT Inlet System
Fueling by Fuel-It!