Car: n54 2008 AT 335i
Unhappy Stuck with overboost issue - n54 - 03-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Car: 2008 E93

Mods:
-ER Charge pipe
-CSF Radiator
-BMS DCI Air Intake
-Catback Exhaust

I purchased the vehicle used at about 120,000km. Car was running fine. I installed the Charge pipe, DCI Intake and Jb4. Everything was running fine until I hit 145,000km. I started getting the overboost code on my JB4 logger. At the same time I started hearing a whistling noise. Turns out the exhaust manifold was cracked (might be due to the ice and rock salt in Toronto). I just moved to California recently.

Recent repairs (last week):
-Both Turbos replaced with OEM Mitsubishi from ECSTuning (due to exhaust manifold crack)
-Valve Gasket replacement
-Radiator (due to leak)
-O2 sensor (as per the mechanic recommendation)

Currently I'm not on JB4 but was planning on it after getting one the turbos replaced.

Right after the turbo replacement, I started getting an engine malfunction if I push the car past 3500k revs. The engine malfunction stays until I turn the car off and on. On restarting the car, the malfunction goes away. Dealership says its an overboost code (30FF). The mechanic at the dealership stated the following:

-Since the turbos weren't bought from dealership, the wastegate wasn't adjusted before Install (I purchased new OEM Mitsubishi Turbos on ecstuning.com. I'm not sure how much truth there is to his statement. Hopefully someone can clarify).
-Some of the valve lines are old and need to be replaced but as to his statement, this would cause underboost not overboost.

I'm completely lost at this point and don't have much money to spend. I could go back the mechanic who replaced my turbos but he's not sure what to do at this point. Dealership is charging me $1200 just for a diagnosis.

I have an OBD2 bluetooth module and am going to grab some boost logs later on. But not sure how much help this would be.

Could it be the solenoids? Should I just JB4 and use that to log data or maybe even just clear the 30FF code?
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM

JB4 log of issue??

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 03-20-2018, 05:24 PM

I don't have a JB4 at this point. I'm trying to get one but it's difficult buying in California
All I have is the USB OBD2 port data, which isn't much.
(#4)
Old

Default Log attached - 03-20-2018, 10:35 PM

I got to log the Intake manifold pressure and turbo boost and vacuum gauge readings. The Intake manifold pressure looks really high (It's ranging between 3psi to 15psi). Is it the a bad sensor, faulty actuators/solenoids or do the readings look okey?

MY DATA LOG

Log file with more parameters attached with this email as well.
Name:  data.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  139.1 KB
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipExport-2018-03-20_18-57-76.zip (52.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mzafar; 03-20-2018 at 11:02 PM..
(#5)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-21-2018, 07:27 AM

What if they installed the down pipe clamp against the actuator rod holding it shut?

(#6)
Old

Default 03-21-2018, 09:36 AM

I just logged and I'm getting crazy APR(measured) Spikes. Log Below:

DATA LOG - click here

I checked the fluids. Oil is topped up. Coolant is up the top line. I did another few pulls. I can't get past 4k RPM. Engine Malfunction (Half Engine light) comes up between 3k and 4k rpm. Logs attached. I got another oil switch to swap out. Will probably do that this weekend.

So I'm thinking it might be:
-HPFP issue?
-Wastegate solenoids?
-I have no clue
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM

The logs you provide are too hard to look at. If it was coming from the JB4, it would be easier to see what was happening . I can assume a few things. Your manifolds broke because of an overboost situation where the wastegates stayed closed. You still have the same issue even with the new turbos. That is because I can assume that the boost solenoids ( vacuum lines) were installed incorrectly or the solenoid failed in an open position allowing boost all the time, hence over boost code.

Secondly, AFR is all over the place as you stated. Could be because only one turbo is over boosting. This could be because of the individual boost solenoid that controls the waste gate actuator/flap. I recommended you check to see if the down pipe clamp is sitting against waste gate rod actuator. This requires you to remove the under panel, put your hand on the rod and push it/pull it to close the flap. If it hits immediately the clamp for the down pipe, then the clamp was installed wrong for that turbo. Easy fix. Just adjust it out of the way .

Possibly the vacuum hoses to the air canisters, to boost solenoids, to waste gates were somehow crossed allowing vacuum all the time. Maybe a “T” was put in place in the wrong location. You must provide pictures or verify it is hooked up as recommended. I created a good picture of this on Bimmerboost . I’ll have to find it since I don’t have it on my phone.

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-21-2018, 03:39 PM

Without a JB4 it won't be easy to diagnose. So work on getting one of those installed. Maybe its ISO boost control system alone will resolve your issue.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 03-21-2018, 05:28 PM

Trying to purchase a JB4. Should have some proper logs soon
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzafar
Trying to purchase a JB4. Should have some proper logs soon

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#11)
Old

Default 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM

Just took a jb4 log using my PC.

DATA LOG CLICK HERE

I'm not sure why its not logging all the parameter properly.
The codes I'm getting are :
277B - OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
30FE BOOST OVER TARGET
3100 LOW BOOST MODE ENGAGED
2DED POWER MANAGEMENT

Last edited by mzafar; 03-22-2018 at 08:33 PM..
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-22-2018, 08:37 PM

You need to post the CSV file here directly.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 03-22-2018, 08:42 PM

Oops. Here it is. I'm on Map 0. Pre-boost seems really high no?

Pre-boost: 22psi
Target: 6psi
Ecu psi: 4.56psi

Data Log Graphed here
CSV attached as well

On a side note. This weekend I'm going to the mechanic who swapped the turbos and ask him to:
1. Swap out all vacuum lines
2. Check if the down pipe clamp is preventing wastegates from opening

Someone mentioned that I might need to adjust the Wastegate arms. I'm not sure if he's equipped enough to do that. Thank you so much in advance btw
Attached Files
File Type: csv 032218_1113.csv (231.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by mzafar; 03-22-2018 at 11:46 PM..
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 03-23-2018, 05:41 AM

You need to read the release notes and update your interface.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#15)
Old

Default 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Just updated the interface Thank you for picking that up.

DATA LOGS - Click here

My WDGC seems to jump between 26% and 60% is discrete jumps. .Is that normal? I'm trying not to go WOT. Don't want to damage anything.

I'll reset everything after work as you mentioned and set the boost limit to 14.5psi and take another log.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 180323_0831.csv (44.2 KB, 13 views)
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 03-24-2018, 03:27 PM

Make sure menus 11 and 12 are set to default and do a WOT log on map 4. Also return FF to the default.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#17)
Old

Default 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Update:

Checked the following item:
1. Changed all vacuum hoses to silicone lines. All lines are holding vacuum (tested with vacuum gauge.
2. At DWP: 60% I'm reading about 15in vacuum on both solenoids (tested individually)
At DWP: 100% I'm reading about 27in vacuum on both solenoids (tested individually)
3. Wastegate actuators completely close at about 7in vacuum on the lines.
4. I've tried setting FF to 30 and 80 on Map 0. It doesn't seem to be making a difference.
5. I should receive new boost solenoids today. Will install and test again. But since I tested the solenoids individually and they are both outputting different vacuums at different DWP, I think they are working but I could be wrong.

From what I understand about the system Items 1,2, and 3 are working as they should and I'm still getting the 30FE code. There is slight hesitation above 30k RPM and moderate throttle and then the 30FE code. My boost are consistently over target across the entire RPM range.

Should I try Map 6 and set boosts across the RPM range to 8psi? Anything else come to anyone's mind?
(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2018, 10:38 AM

Solenoids sound fine from vacuum testing. Lower menu12 as needed to get boost inline. I'd guess something like 2000rpm is where it needs to be on your specific car. Maybe lower.

Burger Motorsports