N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 335i and 535i Technical question - 06-13-2018, 07:26 AM

I was cross refrencing turbo part numbers and it looks like the front turbos of both cars are the same but the rear turbos its where the difference is, picture attached 535i (Left) and 335i (Right), my question is that since its basically the same turbo just clocked/position differently, can you install the 335i turbo on a 535i, if not why so?
Attached Images

(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-13-2018, 10:26 AM

IIRC housings are different so it would cause the actuator bracket to sit different and the charget pipe etc etc. More than likely the ******** angle may be different as well.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
IIRC housings are different so it would cause the actuator bracket to sit different and the charget pipe etc etc. More than likely the ******** angle may be different as well.
the down pipe should be the same angle right? basically you are saying the "outlets" would be different no, not the chargepipe?
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaln54
the down pipe should be the same angle right? basically you are saying the "outlets" would be different no, not the chargepipe?
Sorry, yes the outlets.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Might depend on the exact turbo - you're correct that the only difference is clocking, but as to whether a re-clocked turbo would allow the wastegate to fit between models, would probably be the main question.

Yes, outlet may have a different angle but use the same part, should fit either (no one offers model-specific outlets AFAIK, they're universal). Inlets (from the filters to turbo inlet) are the same.

********* are completely different from model to model, as we know.

2009 535i Sport
Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

(#6)
Old

Default 06-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Might depend on the exact turbo - you're correct that the only difference is clocking, but as to whether a re-clocked turbo would allow the wastegate to fit between models, would probably be the main question.

Yes, outlet may have a different angle but use the same part, should fit either (no one offers model-specific outlets AFAIK, they're universal). Inlets (from the filters to turbo inlet) are the same.

********* are completely different from model to model, as we know.
I think the down.***** are the same in regards to the diameter, they're just different in the way they're routed/bent so they should fit right in correct? because as I mention the front turbo is the same model number as the 335i
(#7)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM

The degree that the compressor inlet is clocked won't affect the turbine, and thus ******** angle. Yes, the actual d0wnp1pes are different in routing of piping, angles after turbine, etc. The d0wnp1pe-to-turbo mating size is the same between models (since they all fit the same turbine housing), but not sure if exactly the same diameter piping between models, but probably pretty close if any difference.

2009 535i Sport
Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

(#8)
Old

Default 06-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
The degree that the compressor inlet is clocked won't affect the turbine, and thus ******** angle. Yes, the actual d0wnp1pes are different in routing of piping, angles after turbine, etc. The d0wnp1pe-to-turbo mating size is the same between models (since they all fit the same turbine housing), but not sure if exactly the same diameter piping between models, but probably pretty close if any difference.

Sorry, yes I meant the mating size should be the same, im guessing the only issue here is if the wastegate actuator arm would hit the frame, everything else shouldn't matter I believe since you confirmed their is only one outlet part #, and the inlet size im going with an aftermarket/custom one