N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
Default N20 JB4 Question for F30 328i - 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM

Hey all, bought a used JB4 off of someone. It's an older one with the red and black cables that I need to plug in (after confirming with Jon from BMS). Hoping I could get some help with a few things.

I can't find any videos that show how to connect those 2 cables. I know where, just not how. Am I just loosening the screws and pinning the connectors under, then tightening them again?

I got the OBD Cable to upgrade the unit. Can I use the latest firmware or do I need to by wary of anything (since it's physically different than the latest ones)?

Did anyone plug up the hole after running the cables through the firewall from the grommet hole? If so what did you use? I've seen people mention using silicone but not sure what to look for?

Since mine didn't come with an enclosure like the newer ones, what's better, the plastic one or the high temperature one? Anyone have the high temperature one and has photos they can show me? Not sure what the optimal placement for it is. Or alternatively, if anyone isn't using an enclosure, where did you mount it and do you have photos?

Any help is appreciated! I'm excited to install and have fun. I'm doing a body conversion this week so wanted to do this too!
(#2)
Old

Car: F20 125i
Default 08-27-2017, 10:08 PM

PWG?
(#3)
Old

Default 08-28-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc
PWG?
Nope, EWG.
(#4)
Old

Car: F20 125i
Default 08-29-2017, 04:26 AM

1) wires Q no idea on my part
2) OBD: always use the latest firmware
3) you either make an incision on the plastic and pass it through or do the manual trasnmision way http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...251#post554251
4) enclosures: i have the aluminium one. i live in greece so temps are high enough. outer shell is hot inner wise i have no clue since no board temps sensors are installed no one can really tell
(#5)
Old

Car: All of 'em
Default 08-30-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec
Hey all, bought a used JB4 off of someone. It's an older one with the red and black cables that I need to plug in (after confirming with Jon from BMS). Hoping I could get some help with a few things.

I can't find any videos that show how to connect those 2 cables. I know where, just not how. Am I just loosening the screws and pinning the connectors under, then tightening them again?

I got the OBD Cable to upgrade the unit. Can I use the latest firmware or do I need to by wary of anything (since it's physically different than the latest ones)?

Did anyone plug up the hole after running the cables through the firewall from the grommet hole? If so what did you use? I've seen people mention using silicone but not sure what to look for?

Since mine didn't come with an enclosure like the newer ones, what's better, the plastic one or the high temperature one? Anyone have the high temperature one and has photos they can show me? Not sure what the optimal placement for it is. Or alternatively, if anyone isn't using an enclosure, where did you mount it and do you have photos?

Any help is appreciated! I'm excited to install and have fun. I'm doing a body conversion this week so wanted to do this too!
I would need to see photos in order to advise you about the wires. Updating to the most recent firmware should be fine, no trouble.

I silicone most of the installs we do unless someone asks me not to, just to be on the safe side. I've used many types of silicone, anything will do fine just do not make a big mess. 'Gasket Maker' or 'Pookie' does fine.

The enclosures both serve the same purpose. The only cars running high heat enclosures out of our shop, are the units that come with it (M-Car modules) and highly modified variants where heat is a true concern. I recommend it simply because it is a very nicely made product, has some nice weight to it, crush-resistant (maybe save your JB4 if an accident were to occur).

It just reminds me of all the beautiful CNC/anodized stuff coming from Fuel It, and I like the feeling of it in my hands. At the end of the day though, the plastic enclosure should do the trick for your application.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-03-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarPerformance
I would need to see photos in order to advise you about the wires. Updating to the most recent firmware should be fine, no trouble.

I silicone most of the installs we do unless someone asks me not to, just to be on the safe side. I've used many types of silicone, anything will do fine just do not make a big mess. 'Gasket Maker' or 'Pookie' does fine.

The enclosures both serve the same purpose. The only cars running high heat enclosures out of our shop, are the units that come with it (M-Car modules) and highly modified variants where heat is a true concern. I recommend it simply because it is a very nicely made product, has some nice weight to it, crush-resistant (maybe save your JB4 if an accident were to occur).

It just reminds me of all the beautiful CNC/anodized stuff coming from Fuel It, and I like the feeling of it in my hands. At the end of the day though, the plastic enclosure should do the trick for your application.
No worries, I just went for it and I got it installed ok! Didn't have chance to drive it yet since I was working on it while people came over and parked behind me.

Thanks for the sealant recommendation, but how do I use it to plug up the hole? Sorry I've never done it before.

As for the enclosure, are they all waterproof? The high temperature one is actually half the price of the the plastic one so I'm leaning towards that. Just that it looks big and not sure it would fit the area above the shock tower where its currently mounted?
(#7)
Old

Car: 2014 328i
Default E85 with flex wire vs no wires - 10-27-2017, 06:10 AM

Will the jb4 with the flex wires connected detect the e85 and pull harder? Or is it just helpfull to log?

I wasn't aware that when i installed the jb4 i hadn't connect the flex wires and i have 4gallons of e85 since a few days ago. Yesterday i realized i didn't have the wires connected. Planning on connecting them tomorrow as soon as i get home.