N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Fuel upgade test results! - 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Hey guys,

I took a few hours yesterday and today to setup a test rig and evaluate various fuel pump upgrade options. Originally I planned to test the OEM regulator along with the factory pump as shown in the first video, but soon realized it wasn't viable as a test rig. So I switched over to a trusty stand alone regulator set @ 75psi. The factory regulator runs around 72psi. The extra 3psi is to help account for the pressure drop through the fuel line that would run to the front of the engine, etc, that is not present in this test.

I'll describe the setups in the order of flow. There are also some videos below of various test configurations.

Setup 1 : Factory pump. 176 lph.

The pump has around 40k miles on it and seemed to be fine working in car. Testing was a little lower than expected at 176lph but on gasoline with a lower BSFC that would be enough to support over 475hp. Reasonable enough.

Setup 2: Factory pump + $100 Walbro Universal Inline. 242 lph.

This represents a very simple inline setup. The Walbro Universal pump has barbed fittings and slides right in between the OEM pump outlet and regulator inlet without the need for special hardware. For most of us where the factory pump isn't able to keep up this might be enough to keep pressure on target while avoiding the other more expensive and more difficult to install options below. For $100 I was pretty impressed with it.

Setup 3: Walbro E85 Alone w/ Factory Venturi. 285 lph.

This is the Walbro 267 pump configured exactly as we have in our fuel pump DIY. No restrictor on the venturi. No special hardware required. It's a proven reliable and viable setup. In our testing it has been more than enough to max out the factory high pressure pump @ 70psi @ 520rw on E85. Runs around $200 including the tee and extra line to install it.

Setup 4: Factory pump + Walbro E85 In Series. 303 lph.

This is essentially the $600 FFTEC fuel pump upgrade. A Walbro E85 pump whose inlet is connected to the outlet of the factory pump using a CNC machined adapter. Instead of the adapter I used a hose and a hose clamp on the short pump inlet. Verified it was not leaking. Flow was around 6% better than Setup 4 but with two pumps working current usage was very high at 21amps, which means a lot of stress on the electrical system and a lot of heat being generated that ultimately will heat the fuel up more than Setup 3.

Setup 5: Walbro E85 Alone without the Venturi. 344 lph.

This is the same Walbro E85 pump, using the same DIY, only without the venturi valve used to fill the bucket. I've tested this on the road for several hundred miles without issue and while it's viable it's not ideal when you run the tank down to very low fuel levels. But the test does show just how strong the single Walbro E85 pump is when it isn't having to pull fluid through the factory pump. Adding a restrictor between the tee and the venturi would likely greatly boost flow over Setup 3 alone. As soon as we start to see low fuel pressure drops on Setup 3 our next move will be to add a restrictor to the venturi.

Setup 6: Factory pump + Walbro E85 In Parallel. 425 lph.

For this setup the outlet of the factory bucket was teed in to the Walbro E85 so both pumps could work in parallel. This is the universally preferred method for running dual pumps and because the Walbro pump is feeding fuel from the tank no special CNC hardware is required. While it drew the same ~21 amps of current as Test 4 it absolutely crushed it on flow. a 40% increase using the same two pumps changing only the way they are connected. For those who are maxing out option 5 and are ready for dual pumps this is definitely the way to do it.

Quick summary:

As expected all options above offer an upgrade to the factory fuel system. I am currently using Setup 3 at 520whp on E85 and I've yet to run out of low fuel pressure. For factory turbo cars whose factory pump is having a hard time keeping up on E85, in the 450whp range, I would consider starting at Setup 2. It's inexpensive and easy to install. For those who really need a lot more than the Walbro alone can offer running it in parallel with the factory pump is clearly the way to go.

Original test rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hBN0hcxd1a8

Revised rig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4a-jehI6TWQ

Factory + Walbro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GI6ZSi6HG2k

Factory + 255lph inline:

http://youtu.be/sbfr_fW98I0
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 e92 335i
Default 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Nice results.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno
Awesome testing and results! What do you expect the current draw to be with twin Walbro pumps instead of OEM+Walbro? How much current does the OEM pump consume vs. the Walbro at 75psi pressure?
Walbro alone was around 14-15 amps. OEM around 9 amps. Dual Walbro would be around 30 amps I imagine. I'm not sure how much power the factory fuel pump controller can provide. But it has a 20amp fuse IIRC. So I'd be hesitant to go much over that. There are other ways to power them though.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 01-17-2013, 11:55 AM

where I can find and then eliminate the venturi?!

Is it at the bottom of the factory pump case where the walbro gets installed?!

(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollegga
where I can find and then eliminate the venturi?!

Is it at the bottom of the factory pump case where the walbro gets installed?!
Unless you are making more than 520whp on E85 then I would leave it in place. There is little need for "extra" low fuel pressure potential. You simply need enough to avoid a pressure drop at the high pressure inlet.

Burger Motorsports

(#6)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Terry, how does the stock pressure regulator work? Does it regulate pressure by restricting the flow or dumping excess flow back into the tank? Depending on the operation.... the current draw could be markedly different.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM

The factory varies PWM to the pump based on load as part of its regulation so these current draws would be at "full throttle" where it always runs 100% duty cycle. At idle it runs maybe 50% PWM.

On the mechanical regulator it dumps pressure over 70ish PSI out the return. I know it's OK for the Setup 3 but say Setup 6 *might* also need either an aftermarket regulator or an aftermarket controller that avoids full duty unless pressure is dropping below 70psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM

You'd probably need a check valve or solenoid then to prevent pressure bleeding off through the disabled Walbro pump which would complicate things. But that approach might work.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Try to blow air back into the outlet of the pump(s). Better than 50% chance there already is a check valve in them.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#10)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Damn! That's some kickass data!!

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#11)
Old

Car: e92 M3/e92 335i/e93 335i
Default 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Terry, I'm curious how would you propose one would set up these pumps in Parallel?

VFF700 Precision 62mm Turbo | BBS LM-R's | Brembo GT 15" | KW V2s | AA FMIC Race | HKS Exhaust | Aquamist HFS-3
*Philippians 1:6 - Being confident of this very thing,
that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
(#12)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM

mmmmm inputttt

(#13)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerocious
mmmmm inputttt

brilliant !!!
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS
Terry, I'm curious how would you propose one would set up these pumps in Parallel?
The pump setup would be easy. I'd crack the top on the bucket and just drop it in next to the OEM pump. Then connect the OEM output and the Walbro output to a tee that connects to the yellow regulator input line.

How to power it is another story. How are you guys powering the dual pump setup now? Another consideration is regulation. It might over work the regulator. So you'd want to monitor low fuel pressure closely at first to ensure it was able to get down to 72psi.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS
I am going to do it tonight. I will post pictures.

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#16)
Old

Default 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Nice!
Also, very interested to see what happens when Tony gets this up and running!
(#17)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW E91 335i
Default 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Fantastic info, Terry, thanks a lot !

Since i'm shooting for 500+ whp, and want to keep E85 as an option, i think setup3 is the way to go ?

greetings,
Jeroen
(#18)
Old
w00t

Car: 335i
Default 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Good info!

Specializing in Aftermarket Performance Solutions for BMW 135i 335i and 535i
(#19)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 6MT
Default 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM

I need to get out there and buy one of these pumps!

(#20)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM

Very nice work T. Nothing like experimenting in the lab.

How did you collect flow data?
(#21)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM

BTW,
Walbro has a 330 LPH universal pump (GCL624) I'm considering putting inline w/ OEM. However, the only Walbro pump validated for E85 is the 450 LPH. Called them today for more info about "validated" but they are off till Wednesday for the holiday..........
(#22)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Very interesting. Great work.

I am FBO, G5 ISO, w/BMS flash.

Do I need the N55 T-map sensor to make this extra pump worthwhile? What else must I do to use this pump mod and get more HP ? Thanks.

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#23)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Once you start maxing it out we'll see the fuel pressure drop in the logs. It's mainly for those running big E85 mixtures.

Burger Motorsports

(#24)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks T, there is no E85 available here on Florida's west coast that I am aware of.

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#25)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom
BTW,
Walbro has a 330 LPH universal pump (GCL624) I'm considering putting inline w/ OEM. However, the only Walbro pump validated for E85 is the 450 LPH. Called them today for more info about "validated" but they are off till Wednesday for the holiday..........
Will be interested to see what they say.

Burger Motorsports