N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/index.php)
-   N54 (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   JB4 anti-lag feature details & videos (http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33028)

Terry @ BMS 08-24-2015 09:15 PM

JB4 anti-lag feature details & videos

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

This is the thread for discussion and details on the new JB4 anti-lag feature. This feature allows you to pull 25 degrees of timing on the fly using either the volume button on your steering wheel or brake pedal to spool up the turbos before starting a race.
For example during a rolling race get close to the starting speed, press the volume down, floor the car, let boost build, and let go of the volume button to rocket away at full boost. It's really an exhilarating feeling. The larger the turbos the more fun it is!

Note this setup is experimental. We do not know whether or not it will cause any long term damage to your exhaust valves or turbine. But my gut feeling is that as long as its used with ethanol fuel and in moderation that there won't be any issues. Just keep in mind it's a racing part. And when you're racing sometimes you're breaking.

Order Link: We've added the kit to our site on the n54 upgrades page: http://www.burgertuning.com/JB4_upgrades.html

Latest 2STEP+AntiLag firmware and directions: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=717

Results:

Anti-lag dyno testing on a large single turbo. Incredible spool improvement! http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33639

Install Guide:

1) Disconnect negative battery cable
2) Open the JB4 enclosure and using a small screwdriver pry out the chip closest to the data cable connector. It will be labeled 23k22 or 24k22. Insert the new chip and press it down in place.
3) Take apart the BMS data cable shell and insert the anti-lag wire in to spot #4. Reassemble connector or if you prefer throw the shell away and reattach to the JB4 using one of the smaller screws that was within the cable as shown below.
4) The other end of the wire has a male and female jumper that fits within the JB4 harness on the large black subconnector, spot #17, as numbered from the female side. The OEM wire that is routed to that slot is yellow/red.
5) Put the JB4 and harness back together and reattach the battery.
6) Update the JB4 to v31.4 or later firmware.
7) Run the latest JB4 BEF maps which have these table changes made already. If not make the changes below. Note if using the github XDF you will need to modify the charge air temp timing range to go down to -25. Many table changes are required.
8) To utilize the system select the gear you plan to start in, say 3rd gear at 40-50mph, press down on the volume button, press the gas pedal fully, and when you're ready to go let go of the volume button. When pressing both the gas pedal and button down IAT should drop to 21 degrees and timing will go negative in dash and in datalogs.
9) Note it's currently unknown whether or not this will long tern damage the turbos, motor, etc, so don't use this feature if you don't have a higher risk tolerance.

Cold Weather Update:
As a short update for you cold weather guys, we've made a logical change to the back end flash map that will allow the system to operate properly when temps dip below 32F.

The only catch is the anti-lag system may not trigger (e.g. IAT may not drop low enough when engaging) when temps warm up back to the 70s and higher. The original anti-lag wires have a 1.2k resistor inline to prevent the JB4 from causing a "intake temp sensor voltage too low" fault when anti-lag engages. We've since been able to disable this fault in the flash file and around 12/5/15 switched anti-lag kits to a 100ohm resistor. With the 100ohm resistor there will be no issues with the new logic from very warm to very cold weather. :happy

Those with the original 1.2k resistor may want to cut it out and instead splice in a 100ohm come spring. Alternatively we've added the "wire only" as an order option to the anti-lag kit if you just need the new wire.

2STEP + ANTI-LAG Directions:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=717

Videos:

Dirty Dog 08-24-2015 09:32 PM

That sounds awesome T. This will definitely come in handy.

omarmarji 08-24-2015 09:38 PM

nice! now waiting on inlet specific maps! lol

Newguy123 08-24-2015 09:40 PM

Sick rolling antilag

Ddang06 08-24-2015 09:58 PM

We really need this ...

Brake boosting makes a hellva difference .. Before I didn't brake boost , I would lose by 1.5 cars with my friends FBO tuned c6.. When I brake boosted it was under 1/2 car or less .

rhm135 08-24-2015 10:22 PM

Sounds awesome! This would be so great for 1/2 mile shootouts.

Levan-i 08-25-2015 12:35 AM

Terry,
thats fantastic! :)

couple questions:
1. can that(additionally) be used for MT-s to keep boost up during shifts?
2. will not car jerk when during regular driving changing volume?
3. "pressing up disables boost by gear on the fly (this previously was down)" is there any central knowledge base or something for all this tricks? i did not knew currently pressing volume down disables boost by gear function

samstryker 08-25-2015 01:23 AM

This is pretty cool! Id love to try it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levan-i (Post )
Terry,

couple questions:

2. will not car jerk when during regular driving changing volume?

I don't think you would necessarily notice the drop in timing unless WOT but +1

str8shot 08-25-2015 07:01 AM

Quote:

3. "pressing up disables boost by gear on the fly (this previously was down)" is there any central knowledge base or something for all this tricks? i did not knew currently pressing volume down disables boost by gear function

X2 - it'd be great to get a list of FU options as well. It's hard to find all the options without going through pages and pages of posts.

Nniftyfour 08-25-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by str8shot (Post )
X2 - it'd be great to get a list of FU options as well. It's hard to find all the options without going through pages and pages of posts.

There is a FU list. It's the notes.txt you download with the firmware.

Porky198 08-25-2015 07:48 AM

Awesome work Terry I'm glad you had the time to figure this out. If this works the way it does on my ls car you should had no problems building 10-15psi on a ST car without pushing through the brakes at the track. If traction issues are figured out the 10.99 barrier should be a thing of the past.

AWSAWS 08-25-2015 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by str8shot (Post )

Would also like to know all FU options... :)

str8shot 08-25-2015 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nniftyfour (Post )

Hey you're right! Thanks!

elijahcole92 08-25-2015 08:46 AM

Sweet, does this mean we now have the rolling popcorn and flames?!

prelude2perfect 08-25-2015 09:19 AM

, If you need a tester let me know. I'm heading to Mexico this weekend to do some runs

AWSAWS 08-25-2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nniftyfour (Post )

I missed this. Thanks!!!

Terry @ BMS 08-25-2015 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to do a little more work on this.

I changed the trigger from the volume on the wheel to the brake pedal. The problem with the wheel button is its just extra complication when trying to race. If people are going to use in the real world it has to be easy to use and effective.

So the way it works now is you lightly tap the brake at the speed you want to start the race at, floor the gas pedal, boost builds, and then when you're ready to go just let your foot off the brake and you fly away at full boost. :burnrubber:

I'll post a full DIY on how to set this up soon. It's really easy.

nyt 08-25-2015 02:22 PM

Is it possible to make the temp target lower for people who live in states that have seasons? ;)

Nniftyfour 08-25-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS (Post )
Was able to do a little more work on this.

I changed the trigger from the volume on the wheel to the brake pedal. The problem with the wheel button is its just extra complication when trying to race. If people are going to use in the real world it has to be easy to use and effective.

So the way it works now is you lightly tap the brake at the speed you want to start the race at, floor the gas pedal, boost builds, and then when you're ready to go just let your foot off the brake and you fly away at full boost. :burnrubber:

I'll post a full DIY on how to set this up soon. It's really easy.

Obviously you meant brake

Levan-i 08-25-2015 02:26 PM

its interesting

so you race without pressing gas pedal?

can this feature be used when changing gears on MT to not lose boost?

VegasJD 08-25-2015 02:37 PM

i liked the button on the steering wheel is there anyway to select that as a trigger? the brake shouldnt be hard i just like having the power at your hand instead of the brake is all

Terry @ BMS 08-25-2015 02:44 PM

lol fixed typo.

Levan-i 08-25-2015 02:45 PM

btw currently i anyways brake (and floor at the same time) on rolling races to build boost to the third honk

Terry @ BMS 08-25-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

btw currently i anyways brake (and floor at the same time) on rolling races to build boost to the third honk

Works the same way but now you don't have to push brake as hard and can generate a lot more boost before going.

Same thing for automatics off the line. When brake boosting you can make a lot more boost now before pushing through the lights. :)

tc535i 08-25-2015 02:49 PM

so what's the triggering event here?

brake light circuit engaged and throttle = 100%?